Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Statutory Warranty cover Inlet Manifold Leak??

charjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Caprice 5ltr
Hi All, Just after some basic advice before we repair our car.
Short Story, My Partner purchased a second hand vehicle from a licensed motor dealer(qld) it has RWC and Rego, now from much research I am pretty sure it has an Inlet Manifold Gasket Leak, eg. oily sludge under radiator cap and in coolant reservoir, I also believe that the RWC was incorrect to pass as there are many other minor problems I noticed that should not have passed RWC, but that's small stuff, Getting the Inlet Manifold Leak fixed is a bigger, more expensive job.

So I was looking over the paper work and noticed it has a Statutory Warranty, Class B as the car is over 10 years old or has more than 160,000ks, its starts 01/04/14 and ends 28/04/14, or after 1000ks.

I am wondering if the Inlet Manifold Leak would be covered by the Warranty?

Also we are about 300klms from where it was purchased, and it states;
The buyer is advised that it is their obligation to deliver the motor vehicle that is to be repaired under statutory warranty to the warrantor if the motor vehicle is located within 200klms of the warrantors business at the time the buyer notifies the warrantor of the defect.

If the motor vehicle is located more than 200klms from the warrantors place of business at the time the buyer notifies the warrantor of the defect, the must deliver the motor vehicle to the qualified repaired closest to the vehicles location.
If the warrantor elects to send the motor vehicle to another location it is at the warrantors expense.

Also would it be wise to get an Authorized RWC Supplier to do another RWC to see exactly what the have dodged and have it all repaired under Statutory Warranty, or will I be liable to pay the costs of repair?

Thanks for any info :)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's worth a try, but there is also the element of buyer beware. LIM gaskets are a very common issue (assuming its an Eco). Would have been something to pick up pre purchase. That said any Eco with original gaskets would do the same in time.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
RWC is a warrant of road safety, not mechanical maintenance and wellbeing. A manifold leak doesn't effect the safety of the car, so it's not covered by a RWC.

Any warranty offered by the dealer that has nothing to do with RWC (safety) is more of a civil matter, so I don't know how much help you'll get from a RWC supplier.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Any warranty offered by the dealer that has nothing to do with RWC (safety) is more of a civil matter, so I don't know how much help you'll get from a RWC supplier.

I should clarify a bit. It sounds like they have sold you a dud, you should go after them for that, I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I believe the RWC won't cover it.

Check if the statutory warranty needs to be provided by law in your state or if it's just a nicety provided by the dealer. Then if they refuse to help you out take your argument to higher authorities.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
If your handy with a spanner worst comes to worst it's not expensive or super hard, new lim gaskets $110 for alloy ones, some gasket goo, coolant and oil change. Plenty of help here and how to guides.

charjon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Caprice 5ltr
Thanks for the replies every one,
I know one thing for sure, with the SRS Aibag Fault Light on there's no way in hell it could pass Road Worthy, but it did, with flying colors on the first inspection, considering the car is around 12 years old and has more than a quarter of a million K's, I don't think it would have passed with absolute 100% satisfactory results
I think instead of getting my knickers in a knot, I'll just get RACQ to do a RWC Inspection and check out the results, if there's anything serious that should not have passed RWC and is going to send the engine into complete failure, or is dangerous, I'll try my luck with the dealer, who is also the RWC supplier, who also works out of his backyard.
If he doesn't come to the party I'll break out the tool box, report him to traffic authorities and move on :)