Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stealth cam

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
GM motor sport have the cam package on sale, for a cam in an L77 it going to cost $4100 that includes dod delete, not sure on how much extra the heads are to be done.

I will NOT be doing any boost in the seeable future.
Is it worth doing the heads to get a little extra power?

How much more fuel would a stealth cam use? Its a very small cam but worth knowing as ive heard people say don't get a cam due to the increase cost of fuel.

How much louder is the car with the cam? Currently have full 3inch with rex headers and cats and mild steel catback xforce.

Might make the drive to GM motor sport today and see it all for myself. 2hour drive from were I live.

Thanks,
PS. if you mention another make of car in this post, save yourself the hassle and get off the JUST COMMODORE forums.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
GM motor sport have the cam package on sale, for a cam in an L77 it going to cost $4100 that includes dod delete, not sure on how much extra the heads are to be done.

How much more fuel would a stealth cam use? Its a very small cam but worth knowing as ive heard people say don't get a cam due to the increase cost of fuel.

How much louder is the car with the cam? Currently have full 3inch with rex headers and cats and mild steel catback xforce.

Might make the drive to GM motor sport today and see it all for myself. 2hour drive from were I live.

Thanks,
PS. if you mention another make of car in this post, save yourself the hassle and get off the JUST COMMODORE forums.
What's the specs of the cam

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
What's a stealth cam?
What's the specs of the cam

From reading GM Motorsport's website a stealth cam for an L77 is as follows:

Stealth - Duration 223/235 @.050 - Lobe Sep 115 +Adv. - Valve Lift INT 0.610 - EXT 0.620

This is the specs for a stock cam for an L77:

Duration 196/208 @.050 - lobe separation 116 - lift 0.478/0.466

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Good head work is not cheap.

The stock heads flow okay and any work on them for the package you're looking at would be a total waste of money.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt

Thanks,
Where about do you live to have to travel to Melton? There are plenty of good shops around.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
with that cam u should get close to factory fuel usage just depends how good the dod was as sometimes its not worth using, cruising should be around the 7-9L/100 on the instant display, but anytime ur on the throttle u will use more as the engine will be ingesting more and make sure tuner keeps DFCO active

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Where about do you live to have to travel to Melton? There are plenty of good shops around.
There doing the "special"

They delete the dod, don't think it's optional to keep it once they cam it.
Is the DCFO where they tune it and make it from low lumpy to high lumpy? Don't understand much about all this, but I'm under the impression it's the tune that makes it lumpy not so much the cam.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
There doing the "special"

They delete the dod, don't think it's optional to keep it once they cam it.
Is the DCFO where they tune it and make it from low lumpy to high lumpy? Don't understand much about all this, but I'm under the impression it's the tune that makes it lumpy not so much the cam.

I'm sure 07GTS can give you far better info than me but it controls the fuel usage on deceleration.

Leaving it active will slightly reduce fuel usage and quieten the popping noise often referred to as overrun and as far as I know the parameters can be changed to control how much fuel is escaping on deceleration.

That's my basic knowledge from what I think I remember my tuner telling me when he asked if I wanted it or not.

Personally I like all the drama of the overrun but saving fuel has never been a priority for me.

The lobe separation has a lot to do with the lumpiness of the cam with a high number smoother than a low number and from what I understand a good tuner can control that to some extent as well.

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
cruising should be around the 7-9L/100 on the instant display
Wish I could get instant fuel display in my VE for sh1ts and giggles!!

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Wish I could get instant fuel display in my VE for sh1ts and giggles!!
from memory the Ve/vf tools out at 39.9L/p100km which which it sits at while more than half pedal.