Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steam from back of engine block - VR wagon

88jaz88

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Holden Executive Wagon
Just drove the car up the road for about 5 minutes and opened the bonnet to see a little bit of steam appearing. The temp gauge didn't move off cold. I don't have any over-heating problems present.

I don't see why my engine steams.

Can someone please tell me what is going on?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Couple of things, if it was more so over the RHS (drivers side) it could just be the heater hose that runs in to the rear of the intake manifold, or the plastic adapter that it attaches to. Not uncommon. It could possibly be the intake manifold gasket itself too.

I'd be checking that hose and adapter first. Brass replacement part from the major sellers is KC38MC.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I agree with heater hoses as above.

If not could possibly be a welch plug at the back of the engine that is slowly dribbling coolant onto a hot block/exhaust creating steam

88jaz88

Reaction score
Members Ride
i did have all the welsh plugs replaced about 2 months ago. would think they are still good now don't ya

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Pressure test cooling system and go from there.

88jaz88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cooling system should all be good. The radiator dude should have made sure of that when the water pump was replaced recently.

The whole system was flushed and new coolant.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
you sure its not oil or some other fluid burning? also they not going to pressure check or check all the hoses when replacing a water pump...unless you asked for it ..

88jaz88

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a fair bit of grease and stuff at the back of the engine and i look down the back and see the transmission with grease on top. Every now and then there is oil dripping from the transmission. The exhaust pipes arent covered in any oil and no oil drops when pipes are cold. I dont hear any noises like water dropping on hot pipes. Should look around more carefully when the steam is present and report back.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Piston Slap

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR v6 Ute
check ur power steering, the high pressure line on my vr was pissing fluid onto the exhaust and creating steam/smoke as it was burnt...u can also tell by the smell, it smells almost like burning rubber.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Start the car, place hand on throttle body and give it a few revs....with the pressure you will see water/coolant come out of the heater hose etc... just another way of checking for leak.