Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steeering Lock Removal

Muik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Series 2
Just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the steering column lock, I cant take the ignition out because its seized up, i am able to hot wire it to start but cant remove the steering lock to steer, any ideas?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
You have to remove the ignition barrel mate, Can you turn the key to the on position? if you can then do so & get a piece of wire or a small allen key and on the side of the barrel that faces towards the driver there will be a small hole you have to stick the wire/allen key in the hole and then pull the barrel out by the key! I know this because i just did mine and the barrel can some times get seized in there so have some WD40 handy and a bit of patience:p i also just bought a new barrel with key head from autobarn for $55 (was on special down from $70) if the whole ignition is seized then you will most probably have to get a lock smith to look @ it!

Muik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive Series 2
cant turn the key to get the ignition out, is there any other way of removing the barrel?

pippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Executive
Steering Lock

They are a real pain.
I've had vs statesman and a vs commodore both did the samething.
They only way I could remove the lock was to drill out the rivets on either side of the bracket as it is a solid unit The part is not repairable, both were bent and twisted by the time I got them out my concern was not damaging my dash or anything else in the process

Stintsm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Some scum just tried to flog my vp but couldnt because of the imobiliser....but now have a problem with the steering lock. The ignition barrel is fine, the steering lock doesnt work anymore but is there any chance of it locking up while i am driving??

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
No, its not engaging so it would not engage if the ignition is on so no scary moments, the steering lock is just a spring loaded metal block on the ignition barrell that lines up with a square hole on the steering shaft and its engaed when the key is out though the motherF#$ker who tried to steal it munted the slides and the block can`t get free IMO.