Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steel or fibreglass bonnet??!!

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
They only bow if they're crap fibreglass or the factory struts are retained. Weaker struts are required as they are not supporting the force required for a metal bonnet.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah factory strut particularly if new will bend most fibreglass bonnets...you'll need to find old fubar'd set with that struggle to lift steel bonnet or carry broom stick to hold bonnet up.

Hate the look of bonnet stands vs gas struts otherwise I'd have fibreglass or carbon fibre bonnets fitted for weight saving.

Blisscustom sell struts for their hinges that suit steel or fibreglass bonnets but never seen anything to suit commodores yet

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
not sure what you mob are on about.

my car has a fibreglass bonnet that was fitted by the previous owner - also has factory struts. I've owned the car for more than 5 years.

Never had an issue with it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
not sure what you mob are on about.

my car has a fibreglass bonnet that was fitted by the previous owner - also has factory struts. I've owned the car for more than 5 years.

If you haven’t had an issue then they’re rooted factory struts.

I certainly wouldn’t be replacing guards with fibreglass.. guards are part of your crumple zone - many bolt on Panels are!

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

That's good to know and is exactly the kind of feedback I've been looking for

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
Just my 2c... I had a fibreglass bonnet on my VT. When I T-boned an old guy in a 1980-ish hilux with no headlights on in a 70 zone, his tray ripped everything forward of the front wheels off. The bonnet, which was ADR approved, frisbee'd off a VERY good distance onto the footpath some ways ahead. The bonnet was largely intact save a few edges bashed away and hinge mounts ripped off. It always made me wonder what would have happened if it was head-on crash, if I would have been decapitated? Never seen a steel one act that way

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
If you haven’t had an issue then they’re rooted factory struts.

I certainly wouldn’t be replacing guards with fibreglass.. guards are part of your crumple zone - many bolt on Panels are!

no they were replaced and are almost new and are the same ones as what's on my Clubsport. Who said anything about guards!?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I'm not a particular fan of fibre glass. If you're building a race car fair enough but if you like your car looking nice stick with a stock one.

Fibre glass is ripply as anything unless the guy who made it polyestered the hell out of it and blocked it down for ages. Also get a bit of heat into it with a buff or something and the fibres start showing through.

Being a truck painter for years and dealing with allot of fibre glass I can tell you it will always crack eventually. Especially in high stress areas like where the hinges are when you lift it up and down. Star cracks will happen too if it gets hit by something. And on older cars like h series Holden's you need special hinges because if you use the factory ones it will snap.

I would never put one on any of my cars but that's just me personally. Still fix fibre glass all the time at work don't wanna be doing it at home too lol.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah fibre composites are very stiff but also very brittle. The only place I'd use it is where you can't get steel reproduction panels or you're making something one off, like a custom airbox for example.