Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steel piping Air intake

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
cheers. so wat r all the measurements of the pip and rubber tubing.
cheers

all i used man was a 90 degree bend with 76mm both ends the piping was 74 or 75mm cant remeber but i got it from Repco for like 25 bucks

Then what i had to do was cut the metal piping a bit shorter and i just cut some off the 90 degree off and used it for the connection onto the MAF my setup is slightly different to shaneomac000 setup because he still had stock airbox and i dont

you'l see what i mean in the pics anyway bud :thumbsup:

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
well man bascilly the stock piping has all them big ridges in it so the air loses all its speed and velocity

when u replce it with all smooth piping the air has no restricion or bumps and just has maximam flow and veloctity resluting in more and faster air going into ur engine

= better power and response

couldnt have said it better myself :thumbsup: and no worries about the camera bud plenty of time :yeah:

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
well man bascilly the stock piping has all them big ridges in it so the air loses all its speed and velocity

when u replce it with all smooth piping the air has no restricion or bumps and just has maximam flow and veloctity resluting in more and faster air going into ur engine

= better power and response

I can see what you're getting at here, and i'm not saying this mod is useless, but it begs a few questions.

Firstly, why did holden make a ribbed intake tube when a straight one would presumably have been better performing and used less plastic. Also why does MACE engineering claim slower moving air in the intake produces better performance? I'm referring to their plenum spacer. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/v6-peformance-parts.96810/

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I can see what you're getting at here, and i'm not saying this mod is useless, but it begs a few questions.

Firstly, why did holden make a ribbed intake tube when a straight one would presumably have been better performing and used less plastic. Also why does MACE engineering claim slower moving air in the intake produces better performance? I'm referring to their plenum spacer. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/v6-peformance-parts.96810/

The same reason why holden doesnt make cars come standard with high flow filters better exhuast systems ect cus a ribbed plastic intake is cheap and is fine for a stock standard car

i have the mace plenum spacer and it doesnt slow air down, it provides better flow over the runners because the stock setup the end runner doesnt get good flow and alot of dead air sits in it

i noticed an improvment from changing the pipe so it obviously done some good over the stock one

thats my 2 cents

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
when sourcing out the parts for the air intake and when looking at all the companies tending the contract, whoever made the ribbed pipe probably submitted a cheaper quote?

I also think that mace is referring more so towards a longer runner length, but I havn't read up on that, so thats just my 2c worth.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6

my response to that is not everyone wants to go fast, so they dont make the car go to the best of its ability.:thumbsup:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
a lot of the gains will be from removing those bellows type joiners off each end of the pipe more than the pipe its self

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
a lot of the gains will be from removing those bellows type joiners off each end of the pipe more than the pipe its self

bingo.

you guys should heatwrap your intake pipes also.

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Will this also help with your Air to Fuel ratio? Burning your fuel not as quick?