Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Angle Sensor re set/calibration

gasmanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra AH
Hi Everyone
I foolishly replaced the steering wheel on my daughters 2008 Astra 60th Anniversary due to its wear. Everything all good, but the stability warning light has come on.
A local mechanic has advised a new clockspring combination switch, but they are really hard to find with a single stage airbag.
So decided to retrace my steps, and reset the clockspring, and confirmed that everything works, indicators are now auto cancelling again, and the fault code C0460-39 has gone, but my scanner shows unable to sense calibration.
Is this something Holden has to do, or is there someone out there who can help me.
Thanks
Phil.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Most steering angle sensors self calibrate after a short drive in a straight line.
If the DTC has gone, there’s nothing to worry about.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Some do some don't recalibrate, to do it correctly you should have a security key that came with the car, with the clock spring lined up on the 3 triangles then use a tech tool to reset using the security code, it will only work if the 3 triangles are set right if its slightly out it wont reset. ..

gasmanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra AH
Yeh, thanks, I do have the security 4 digit code, but not the tech tool to be able to do it with, mine is a Actel619,...
I just need to find some one who can/has..
Hopefully there is someone in the Brisbane area, I can pay to do it for me,
I really appreciate the info, thanks.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks , DTC?
Found this and oh its 2 triangles pushed the wrong button.

Opcom / software

Notes for others in similar position :
Removed airbag and steering wheel following the usual precautions [ disconnected battery -ve for 5 min ]
The car had been driven many miles so I knew the ribbon was OK (horn & switches all worked) and the marks were within 3mm - so I just moved the centre rotor of the CIM to align the 2 triangles
- not easy to move - seemed to be held somehow
Once everything was back together, Opcom eventually turned out the ESP light but not first or second time
When it worked I had done the following :
Steering wheel and wheels straight ahead
Opcom Diagnostics
Astra-H
Body
CIM (Steering Column Module)
Measuring block 3
Steering Angle Sensor offset - set to 0.00 by slightly moving steering wheel [ don't know if this is necessary ]
Back to CIM screen
Programming
Security code
Entered code from card issued with vehicle - accepted [ before centralising CIM - would not accept this number so Pecky was spot-on ]
Back to programming screen
Steering angle calibration - still showed Steering Angle calibrated - No
Chose Activate and waited
Eventually showed Steering Angle calibrated - Yes
I then deleted ALL fault codes [ first time I only deleted the fault codes in the CIM module and light stayed on ]
The ESP light then came on with ignition as normal and went out after a few seconds

gasmanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra AH
Thanks Trevor, I did find that, post,
I did go thorough it all again yesterday, I checked the clockspring, wound it to it’s stop, clockwise and anti-clockwise approx 4 1/4 turns, found the centre and aligned it to the triangles, that’s when I got the indicators to auto cancel, as they hadn’t been.
everything else is working perfectly, so just this to sort out.

gasmanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Astra AH
Hi Everyone and especially Trevor,
Mate you were spot on....
I reached out and found someone who knows someone that is a flipin master.
As my gut told me there was no actual fault, so the tech used his tech2 to diagnose if there was any faults, and reset the sensor exactly as you said.
Thanks so much....