Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering clunk

ac_74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive '98
There is a clunking sound coming from the front end somewhere when I turn the car at slow to medium speeds. I've recently had the front struts replaced and also changed the sway bar link pins. I've bought new engine mounts which I plan on installing this week-end. Not sure if that will fix the problem. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
did you tighten the strut links propperly?

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Could easily be tie rod ends or in the steering rack

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Have you looked at your sway bar bushes? Worn, loose, cracked.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
my zbars needed new rubbers and my clunk went away, sounds similar to your problem

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
what sort of a sound does it sound like?

Is it a tinny ting, or a grinding clunk.
or does it sound like a spring uncoiling under pressure?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Have you got someone there who can turn the steering wheel th elimit of the play while you look at the steering gear? I'd be looking at the coupling on the steering column where it bolts to the pinion on the rack and also the mesh adjustment on the steering rack itself. It needs to be adjusted with a torque wrench.
Other things to look at are the tie rod ends. All this is easy to spot if you get under the car or look at the steering shaft from under the bonnet while someone turns the wheel the limit of the play.

ac_74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive '98
Have you got someone there who can turn the steering wheel th elimit of the play while you look at the steering gear? I'd be looking at the coupling on the steering column where it bolts to the pinion on the rack and also the mesh adjustment on the steering rack itself. It needs to be adjusted with a torque wrench.
Other things to look at are the tie rod ends. All this is easy to spot if you get under the car or look at the steering shaft from under the bonnet while someone turns the wheel the limit of the play.

I've got a mate coming over this weekend. I'll get under the car and get to turn the wheel full lock each way. Thanks for the suggestion. I had thought of tie rod ends.
I had pedders change both my front struts about 2 months ago. The car has been making the noise for about a year. I'm a bit surprised that the mechanic didn't mention anything while he was under the car.

ac_74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive '98
did you tighten the strut links propperly?

Yep. Followed the instructions. "Tighten until the bushes start to compress, then tighten 1-2 more turns.

ac_74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive '98
Have you looked at your sway bar bushes? Worn, loose, cracked.

No not yet. I'm trying to get a list of possibilities so I can at least narrow down where the problem might be. Can't check the sway bar bushes tonight, but will do this Saturday. Thanks.