Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering issues

Jeff webber

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Holden Calais International
Hello I have a 2007 VE Calais International. Yesterday all of a sudden the steering went really soft I’m not sure what’s caused it. Any ideas?. Recently I had the aircon belt come off and wonder if it’s done damage

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hello I have a 2007 VE Calais International. Yesterday all of a sudden the steering went really soft I’m not sure what’s caused it. Any ideas?. Recently I had the aircon belt come off and wonder if it’s done damage
May be of no help but check the power steering fluid level, you may be low or empty. You may have an air in the system.

With the motor running, refill the pump container and turn the steering from lock to lock.
Hope this helps.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Went really soft?

If power steering failed normally it goes hard so it's not a lack of fluid or other system/pump failure in the normal regard.

I'm not familiar with the VE Calais power steering but earlier Calais models came with the fancy variatronic power steering which alters the load required to turn the steering wheel depending on road speed and does this with a valve in the power steering rack. If this valve fails it could possibly cause the symptoms you have.