Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering issues

Dian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf sv6 commodore
My 2103 vf sv6 has started to when turning corners it has a catch point and the steering grabs and turns further, it actually feels heavy in the steering. I have had the car taken in to a dealer and had the recall done already, any advice would be appreciated

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Holden had a number of bites of the apple to fix this issue. 1st dielectric grease, then epoxy, then in some cases rack replacement before the accc registered voluntary recall was done. This later recall entailed a repair kit to fix the issue (so you didn’t get a full new rack).

So then the question is which one did you have done and when? if it was the accc voluntary recall recall, the dealer doing the job may have botched it but it’s guaranteed (as any work is). If it was something earlier like grease or glue, have the accc voluntary recall done...

In either case, I’d go back to the dealer and get them to recheck the steering and the recall work they did as something ain’t correct if steering binds up and then over assists.

Just don’t fork out $$ to fix what may be their stuff up :rolleyes:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Could also be a case of bad wheel alignment, camber/toe which is contributing to odd behaviour when cornering. Road surface etc

Dian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf sv6 commodore
Could also be a case of bad wheel alignment, camber/toe which is contributing to odd behaviour when cornering. Road surface etc
Thankyou for your reply but my steering wheel also does not return to center

Dian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf sv6 commodore
Holden had a number of bites of the apple to fix this issue. 1st dielectric grease, then epoxy, then in some cases rack replacement before the accc registered voluntary recall was done. This later recall entailed a repair kit to fix the issue (so you didn’t get a full new rack).

So then the question is which one did you have done and when? if it was the accc voluntary recall recall, the dealer doing the job may have botched it but it’s guaranteed (as any work is). If it was something earlier like grease or glue, have the accc voluntary recall done...

In either case, I’d go back to the dealer and get them to recheck the steering and the recall work they did as something ain’t correct if steering binds up and then over assists.

Just don’t fork out $$ to fix what may be their stuff up :rolleyes:
Thankyou

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Dian, it it was October 2020, then it was the voluntary recall listed on ACCC site

I‘d go back to the dealer ASAP as something isn’t correct and they‘d have fiddled with lots of bolts so something may be loose or EPS electronics is still misbehaving :eek:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Thankyou for your reply but my steering wheel also does not return to center

Incorrect wheel alignment will cause this