Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering issues

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
When i start the car and shes cold, whenever i turn the wheel right a few centimetres you feel a click of sorts. When it gets warm and after a highway run i cant really notice it. Any idease? Also, i did a bit of a quick left sharp turn and i heard a few clicking noises, different type that the right hand one, Any ideas?

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Maybe the clock spring coil?

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
tie rod's might be loose.
does it drive straight when the wheel is straight?

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
Yeah she drives straight. Holden have just replaced the link pins, maybe they left someting loose...

nick_20

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
i had the same, prob, my old man owns the local wreckers so i replaced the rack and pinion (also because it was leaking) and the prob is gone, i could only assume it is a worn out rack, it plays up when the oil is cold and thick and when it warms up its fine

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
rack mount bolts?

bsbozzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S V6 M5
i had the same, prob, my old man owns the local wreckers so i replaced the rack and pinion (also because it was leaking) and the prob is gone, i could only assume it is a worn out rack, it plays up when the oil is cold and thick and when it warms up its fine

How much am i looking at?

nick_20

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
what ever a new rack is, i got mine for nothing, and a bit of labour, and a wheel alignment

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
not likely the rack- as it cannot make a clunk, unless the worm & gear are actually worn, which is uncommon. When it does happen it is typically in the centre position.

check everything around the rack- tie rod ends, ball joints, mounts, get a mate under it while you wiggle the steering wheel side to side making the noise so you can at least track it to the area. Generally check bushes for obvious wear as well.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I had exactly the same problem on my wifes old VK, only left wheel. Eventually found prior owner had collapsed the wheel bearing and damaged the stub axle. When cold the new bearing would hang on the scored area of the axle and make the click/clunk noise, when warm was ok. Had to replace the strut. Couldn't tell there was a problem without removing the rotor.
Andrew