Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering lock module

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
so what was the outcome of the original post? I have a 2017 Motorsport and I think my module has **** itself. About 4 weeks ago I noticed I no longer heard the buzz noise coming from the steering wheel to unlock the steering when i pressed the start button. I tested and I can turn steering wheel when everything is switched off and it moves and does not lock like both my friends VF II. I didn't get any warnings or anything.

Am I gonna have to see a dealer or can I replace the module myself? Thinking I will disconnect battery and let everything reset incase there is a gremlin, as I have my rear view camera screen today just flicker and then it came good later on.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Same issue happening to mine now where the steering lock is sometimes not engaging at all... seems to be even less responsive when I park in N then apply park brake before shifting the transmission to P prior to engine off (prefer putting pressure on the park brake than transmission especially on slopes!).

Because there’s been no warning chime or indicator of a fault I’ve decided not to dwell on this issue.
I would strongly suggest not to force it to switch itself on and judging by the increasing number of us having this issue, perhaps it’s a Holden service thing that will get addressed down the track (provided we all raise the concerns at service of course!).

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
.......Am I gonna have to see a dealer or can I replace the module myself? ......

Refer to the attached. The repair process doesn't appear to be a complex process. Not sure that I like the idea of tightening bolts until the heads come off! How do you ever get the module out again if necessary? Also it appears as if the new module needs some kind of programming afterwards.

Attachments

• VF Steering Column Lock Control Module Replacement.pdf
    390.7 KB · Views: 339

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Refer to the attached. The repair process doesn't appear to be a complex process. Not sure that I like the idea of tightening bolts until the heads come off! How do you ever get the module out again if necessary? Also it appears as if the new module needs some kind of programming afterwards.

Thnaks I read that in my workshop manual. It sounds easy, but i have booked my car in at the dealership. Where they will see if a software re flash will fix things or the need to replace the module. As car just came out of warranty i will need them to lodge a claim on my behalf to GMH seek reimbursement for the process of fixing it via either a software re flash or replacing the module completely.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Thnaks I read that in my workshop manual. It sounds easy, but i have booked my car in at the dealership. Where they will see if a software re flash will fix things or the need to replace the module. As car just came out of warranty i will need them to lodge a claim on my behalf to GMH seek reimbursement for the process of fixing it via either a software re flash or replacing the module completely.
My Redline had a new module replace but sometimes it is still a little slow to lock sometimes now.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
My Redline had a new module replace but sometimes it is still a little slow to lock sometimes now.

ok thanks, well mine has now started working as it should, so I may cancel the Holden dealer visit and just monitor it. If anything I may just go buy the module myself $185 and swap it over myself and see how I go.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
One thing you could try is just removing/cleaning/reseating the existing module connector in case there has been some corrosion activity.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
i went ot use auto park tonight and that has stuffed it up, lock module not working again, so def off to the dealer

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride

are you able to get me the section for the control module references that is mentioned in the section you attached? My car has been back to the dealer twice now. First time they replaced the whole SCLM for me, it worked for a couple of days before it failed.

This time around they have said the only errors that are being logged are that the battery in the remote is below the voltage it needs to be at. so they have replaced both batteries in my keys and think this might fix the issue as the keys are not reading back to the BCM properly with the low voltage and this can be sending miss readings to the SCLM.

I am somewhat skeptical, but i hope this fixes it, as if it fails again i dont know what to do. The dealer says they cant fault it and they have had the car for 2 days. I have suggested before i pick it up they do an auto park with it cos when i do that, thats when it seems to stop the SCLM working. So will wait to hear