Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering noise and squealing tires

VS97-2211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Hi,

I just had my steering rack replaced with a reconditioned one because I had a big leak of fluid.

When I drove my car afterwards I notice a fair bit of "soft" grinding and knocking sound coming mostly from the left hand side steering area.

Also, when going around corners (even at slow speed) the front tires are making squealing sounds like they are spinning (burnout)

I went back about ten mins after I noticed this but the mechanic had left, I will be going back tomorrow but thought I would ask to see if anyone here has ideas on what it could be.

Thanks for any help.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
He could have left a tie rod end loose.

The squealing would be because the wheel alignment is now out and the toe requires adjusting.

VS97-2211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Thanks for the reply Not_An_Abba_Fan, I was thinking something needed adjusting but didn't know enough to check.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
In addition to NAAF's comments, I'd add the you should not drive the car in this condition primarily for safety and secondly because you will ruin both front tyres.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
....and this is the last time I would use that 'mechanic'.
He obviously did'nt road test it after the job.

VS97-2211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Thanks guys, the guy is only 2 k's from me so I can go slow through back roads. I will look around for another guy to go to, the best thing about this guy is that he is so convenient.

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
Thanks guys, the guy is only 2 k's from me so I can go slow through back roads. I will look around for another guy to go to, the best thing about this guy is that he is so convenient.

convenient doesnt equate when ya life is at stake!! Like RX said definately didnt road test and if he did well god help us lol
Id be looking somewhere else thats for sure!!

Kioes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 3.8L
As above, my mechanic comes out to me and i used to work for him so he's trusted, find someone you can trust and chat to! being able to have an actual conversation with your mechanic about things is a big one to me! not them just overruling and knowing whats wrong all the time.

VS97-2211

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Wagon
Hi, an update, I went back to the guy and he said he forgot to tell me to get a wheel alighnment done (I don't know how you forget that).
So I went to Boob Janes and that helped, but I have this noise coming from the left hand wheel which I'm pretty sure wasn't there before (even though sounds that were there before are now gone!)

Anyway I might be my bearing that's going, so you're right that it looks like he didn't test drive the car because I'm sure he would have heard the sound if he did. (gets pretty loud the faster you drive)

So I'll do that myself first and if the noise is still there, I will look for someone else to have a look.

I don't know what else could be making the noise besides the bearing.

WOW! I just found out how bloody expensive the ABS bearings are compared to the non ABS ones. I wonder if I can just use the cheaper bearings even if that means losing ABS?

I also read on another thread to do with a noisy front wheel that something else "to check is the slide pins that the caliper slides on - seems to be a common problem for the grease to dry out and cause them to stick stopping the caliper from completely releasing"

After all the noise that I'm hearing ONLY started after I had my steering rack replaced, could this have somehow caused the noise? Do they have to take the wheels and or hubs off to do the rack?

Last edited:

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
There is always something else that happens to your car when you replace a part,funny how that happens 99% of the time.The callipers might not be releasing properly,so the pads are sticking,the rotors might need to be machined because they might be warped,you might need new bearings but that means you have to replace the hubs,which like you said costs $$,the brake line might be rubbing onto the wheel.Jack the car up and then spin the wheel and listen and see if you can hear where it is coming from.