Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering problems - VU II SS

Adac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Update posted on 19th March <-- Click here or find post #7

Hello everyone,

Sorry that my first post is a question, you probably get this a lot from new members. With your advise I'll take action and promise to reply to this thread with the results.

I have a VU II SS and the steering pulls to the left a lot. I had all four tyres changed with an alignment with no improvements so I figured it was a suspension problem. I went to Pedders and had it checked and they quoted me the following:

Part No.DescriptionQtyPriceValue
5851Pedders Strut Mount24998
50305030 Commodore Strut Brg.23570
EP9166Urethane Radius Rod Alignment Bush (2 PKT)1235235
EP9019Urethane Radius Rod Rear Bush (2 PKT)13939
1203Power Steering Rack and Pinion1422422
EP2105Urethane Steering Mount Rack Bush13232
TSPSPower Steering Flush Kit18484
FFitting1660660
WAFront Wheel Alignment18888

This brings it to a total of $1,728. This is way too much for me as a student, so I asked how much it would cost just to fix the alignment issues. What you see in bold in the table above is what the guy at Pedders said would fix the alignment. Everything else was omitted. To be honest, I don't know what half the stuff on the list is and whether it is okay to exclude them.

I'd like to get this forum's opinion on
  1. Whether replacing the bold items above is enough to fix my alignment issues
  2. If it is worth getting it done at Pedders when my budget is stretched so thin

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The workshop that fitted your tyres and did an alignment should have inspected your ute for any worn bushes before they did the alignment, because it is impossible to do an alignment with worn bushes that allow your suspension to move in a way that change your alignment settings. It is possible that your radius rod bushes are worn, which will let your caster settings change and make your ute pull to the left. I would go back to where you had the alignment done and tell them that it still pulls to the left after they did an alignment. I think pedders price is way too expensive.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Seems like they have just named every part connected to the steering. As above it's probably the castor bushes. You can get kits for front and rear castor bushes. Some even include the lower control arm bus, all in polyurethane. It would be approx 300 for the castor bushes from repco or bursons. You could probably fit them yourself or get them fitted for a couple hours labour.
Get your mechanic to check

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
Does it pull to the left all the time? Does it get worse under brakes? Does it feel like there's play in the steering?

That list is a pretty lazy big sledgehammer approach to the problem - just replace the entire front end, it's got to be something there!
Interesting they quoted just about everything and then omitted the inner control arm bushes. Hrm.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
If its just castor bushes also know as radius rod bushes use this guide vvvv, you can get nolathane ones on ebay for 150 or so I`ll post that up too.

ADJUSTABLE RADIUS ROD STRUT Z BAR BUSHES VT VX VY VZ COMMODORE NOLATHANE 48166 | eBay

guide.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-replace-radius-rod-bushes-vt-vz.79399

Just to add when you put the new bushes in the threaded bar (z bar) does not make it all the way through making it a pain to do up the nut but if you get someone to push forwards on the tyre for that side it pushes the bar all the way through and then sum.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
I have a similar issue in my VY (sedan). I'm doing Strut to Radius bushes, rod to control arm bushes, tie rod ends & sway bar links.

Total cost for Nolathane retail $450 (I get it heaps cheaper, perks of being an employee at Repco lol) and a carton for the friend who's fitting it all for me.

Plenty of "how to's" online or even ask a mate who knows to do it for a bit of cash, then wheel alignment and see how yu go!

Adac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Update

Thanks for all your replies. Very helpful.

I ended up taking it to a Goodyear Autocare workshop to get a second opinion. I explained that the steering is not centred (have to hold steering wheel to the right in order to drive straight).

They had a look at it and said my steering rack and tie rod ends need to be replaced followed by a wheel alignment. They also found the bushes to be serviceable - which would mean Pedders was bull****ing!

This came to $775 - still a bit too much for me. I checked at an auto retailer and can get a complete steering rack and 2x tie rod ends for $225 (discounted from about $640). This is very appealing to me, but I have no idea how to remove and install them. I'm happy to pay for labour (and the wheel alignment needed) but Goodyear said they would not fit parts supplied by myself.

Does anyone have any ideas? Also, does this sound like the solution to the problem? Thanks again guys!

Last edited: