Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering rack sounds like its full of dirt. Pics

p1xel8ted

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 VE2 SS Police Pack
Hey guys,

So I've had a steering issue for some time now, no-one seems to be able to tell me what it is. Quick rundown:

- Steering wheel is like 1 - 2 inches to the left.
- Speed wobbles 80 - 90 km/h+ (Strange though, some days it worse than others)
- New KYB shocks/struts with whiteline poly top mounts + new bearings
- King Springs
- Knocking noise from right side near feet when breaking hard in wet, or turning over bumps.
- Turning right is far less effort than turning left.
- Power steering fluid all good.
- Wheel alignments last about a week if I'm lucky.

With car jacked up and manually moving the wheels left/right, sounds like the steering rack is full of rocks/dirt, and the right side of it is covered in grease. I got no idea what the stuff under there is supposed to look like, so I took picutres of everything that looks important lol.

SkyDrive Steering Pics

Last edited:

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Did it have those problems before all the new parts were fitted? Who fitted them? Is it using ant power steering fluid the clip looks to be missing off one of the steerign rack boots? When you get it alligned does the steering wheel straighten up? If you rotate the tyres front to back does it still wobble at 80-90km/h? Knocking noise under brakes or turning could be something to do with the castor rod bushes or sway bar links?

p1xel8ted

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh problems were there before the new bits went it. The tyres are about 6 months old, were brand new with the rims. Steering wheels does straighten up, but reverts back to the 1-2 inches to the left position.

p1xel8ted

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oddly enough, the knocking noise occurred much more often before I had it lowered..

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd be taking it to a panel shop and having the car checked out to make sure it has not been in a heavy accident and not properly repaired/chasis misaligned or something like that. Then I'd be making sure none of the suspension parts are bent. Steering rack try a new "herbie" clip fo rthe outer end of the boot and put in some new fluid. Also for a car that age it looks kind of dirty and greasy underneath. My VY is almost clean enough to eat off.

p1xel8ted

Reaction score
Members Ride
It had a motorbike slide (at about 60km/hr) into the front right quarter of the car about 2 years ago, was repaired under insurance. I live on a dirt road, cant explain the grease though. I like the idea of checking for misalignment, although I shudder at the cost of fixing it, if its even possible.

** Was still drivable after the motorbike hit it. **

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's not grease, it would be power steering fluid weeping out, they all do it.

The knocking would most likely be your rack end, they always do that too. New rack ends and a wheel alignment by somebody who knows what they are doing should fix it.

The wheel being off to the left is because the rack isn't centred properly during the wheel alignment.

Harder to turn one way or another may be due to the worn tyres.

The noise is sort of normal too, it will sound grumbly when turning it left to right by the wheel. As long as it doesn't sound like that when turning the steering wheel.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's not grease, it would be power steering fluid weeping out, they all do it.

The knocking would most likely be your rack end, they always do that too. New rack ends and a wheel alignment by somebody who knows what they are doing should fix it.

The wheel being off to the left is because the rack isn't centred properly during the wheel alignment.

Harder to turn one way or another may be due to the worn tyres.

The noise is sort of normal too, it will sound grumbly when turning it left to right by the wheel. As long as it doesn't sound like that when turning the steering wheel.

Good points from NAAF. You can check the rack ends by jacking each front wheel off the ground one at a time and grasp the wheel on both sides and see if you can push the back of the wheel inwards. The rack needs to come off to replace these unless you can get the tool that stops the rack gear twisting, it goes into the rack housing and some mechanics have these to make the job quicker. If you do it onthe car without one of these the rack and pinion gears will damage where they mesh.
How hard was the hit from the bike? I'd stil check for any bent suspension parts. I don't think a motorbike impact could bend the car?

p1xel8ted

Reaction score
Members Ride
Was like a harley type bike, bloke was coming round the corner and lost it, bike slid on its side into the right headlight (left if facing car), then kind of slid down the side of the car (drivers side), bumper was trashed, water bottle split, radiator wasnt too bad, replaced it anyway, bonnet was fine, side skirt needed replacing.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Good points from NAAF. You can check the rack ends by jacking each front wheel off the ground one at a time and grasp the wheel on both sides and see if you can push the back of the wheel inwards. The rack needs to come off to replace these unless you can get the tool that stops the rack gear twisting, it goes into the rack housing and some mechanics have these to make the job quicker. If you do it onthe car without one of these the rack and pinion gears will damage where they mesh.
How hard was the hit from the bike? I'd stil check for any bent suspension parts. I don't think a motorbike impact could bend the car?
I hit a car at 60kph on a FLH. Harley Davidson, it was a toyota corlla st, got him just behind rhs wheel arch and took half the front of the car off, ripped the motor off the mounts,yes i survived as i bailed before impact.