Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Rack Vt Commodore ISSUE! Need Help !!

jarretxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
Hey guys, I Own a vt commodore and iv noticed the steering rack boot has SH*T Itself ...
Pictures below..
Should I get a hole new steering rack or just the boot for it ?

And how long can I go driving it like it is.. ?
I'm on a pretty tight budget..

12366726_10156270339645332_1545429459_n.jpg12380783_10156270340050332_1740069927_o.jpg12394316_10156270339855332_31792166_o.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The boot is there to keep the **** out, the longer it's exposed the more **** that will get into the joint and possiblty accelerate wear and tear.

If there is no play in the joint just replace the boot, boots are fairly cheap. If done carefully you can probably get away without needing to do a wheel alignment.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey guys, I Own a vt commodore and iv noticed the steering rack boot has SH*T Itself ...
Pictures below..
Should I get a hole new steering rack or just the boot for it ?

And how long can I go driving it like it is.. ?
I'm on a pretty tight budget..

View attachment 180940View attachment 180941View attachment 180942

Hi
I was in the same position, last week. Ordered 2 new ones ($15.00 for pair).
Put on Mon. morning, then took for front end alignment. I was out a 1.5 turns.

Wouldn't drive around to long. You will end up having a lot of crap in there. If that happens, rebuild or replace (could be expensive).
Hope this helps.
Lex

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
well if ur on a tight budget then just replace the boots, but u do have a leak there. the problem is that the power steering fluid makes the rubber boots brittle and the new ones will eventually bust open again.

As said above, avoid driving it as much as possible, otherwise contaminants will get into the rack and then u will require a whole new one ($500 ish i think)

when u remove the joints on the end, just count the number of threads that r exposed or mark it with a paint pen so that the joint goes back on in the same position. it would be a wise move to have an alignment done anyway, as you cant guarantee how accurate it is.

jarretxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim
well if ur on a tight budget then just replace the boots, but u do have a leak there. the problem is that the power steering fluid makes the rubber boots brittle and the new ones will eventually bust open again.

As said above, avoid driving it as much as possible, otherwise contaminants will get into the rack and then u will require a whole new one ($500 ish i think)

when u remove the joints on the end, just count the number of threads that r exposed or mark it with a paint pen so that the joint goes back on in the same position. it would be a wise move to have an alignment done anyway, as you cant guarantee how accurate it is.

How do I get the rack off

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
For a redneck fix in case you have to drive it until you get new boots fitted or leak repaired,
Just cut the remaining piece of boot off the rack, then slip the existing boot back over the rack and cable tie it on there.
You will also have to reposition the small end of the rack boot further up the rack end slightly for this to work

As people have said, the boots keep all the **** out and the redneck repair is definitely not a proper fix.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
T check for wear, jack one side of the car up, hold the wheel at 3 and 9 Oclock and then manipulate by hand feeling for movement. Most people jack the whole front end up but I find it's easier with only one wheel up that way you know one side can't move so any movement at all has to be play in the various joints.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Cheap fix for the leak is to buy a bottle of Nulon power steering stop leak, drain 350ml of fluid from the reservoir with a syringe (or whatever the size of the stop leak bottle is , I think they are 350ml), pour in the stop leak. It can take a few days for it to work if the leak is only minor..Worked for me a treat for $18 instead of $300 + for a new rack..