Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering shaking after new tyres

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ok so i put new tyres in my sv6 (maxxis ma z1's) and had an alignment and balance done at the same time, and now the steering wheel rocks back and forth quickly at highway speeds.

also when the steering wheel is straight the car slowly turns to the left... ie i am always turning right slightly to compensate... this was not the case before hand and any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.
Note i thought there was a wearing in period so i left it for 3 weeks but its still happening.... so i can definantly rule out a wearing in kind of thing...

mattyh83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV
Straight back to the place where the alignment was done. Tell them to fix it.

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Go back to who ever did the alignment and get them to do it again. Failing that could be faulty tyres or a buckled rim.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I had an issue with shaking at speed after I bought a full set of tyres. Went back they told me that all of my rims were buckled (stickies which I bought off a mechanics mate). Anyway, turns out their balancing machine was rooted and the rims were fine.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Ok so i put new tyres in my sv6 (maxxis ma z1's) and had an alignment and balance done at the same time, and now the steering wheel rocks back and forth quickly at highway speeds.

also when the steering wheel is straight the car slowly turns to the left... ie i am always turning right slightly to compensate... this was not the case before hand and any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.
Note i thought there was a wearing in period so i left it for 3 weeks but its still happening.... so i can definantly rule out a wearing in kind of thing...

The tyre dealer really stuffed it up and it is his responsibility to fix it for you . I would not have waited 3 weeks. These problems do not go away.

You have 2 issues:

1. Car is steering to the left. This is almost certainly due to a very poor wheel alignment (and it was not there when you dropped the car in for tyres and alignment so the alignment is almost certainly out).

2. Vibration through the steering wheel at speed.

This can be caused by a number of factors, including ...

a. A very poor balancing job on 1 or both of the front wheels. The fix is to re-balance the wheels properly this time. (There is the possibility that none of the 4 wheels have been properly balanced ). This is the most likely cause of the vibration.

b. A faulty tyre that has a heavy spot that cannot be balanced out fully or a tyre that is simply out of round - both due to poor quality control. In this event the tyre or tyres at fault need to be replaced by the retailer with new ones.

c. If you have aftermarket rims with hub rings to ensure proper hub centric wheel fitment to the VE hub, you should ensure the hub rings are still in place and undamaged.

Anyway, hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Chances are the balance is not correct on the front tyres causing the wobble/vibration. Is there any coloured markings on the side wall of the tyre? If so are they next to the valve or directory opposite.
Is the fitter a big known company? Reason i ask is smaller company's often have older balance machines that don't get calibrated/serviced often (if at all).
Was the alignment fine before the new tyres?
The alignment was probably changend for no good reason.
Hope you have some luck going back to the shop after 3+ weeks.

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
thanks for the input, i went back to the shop and they're redoing the alignment for free so hopefully it all goes well afterwards...