Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Slides Left to Right Help

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi all im having some trouble with my new VS that has next to new tyres on it and she is "sliding" now and then to the left and right so I bet its the ball joints as I have done a wheel alignment and it still slids, so when I replace them I would like to also replace the tie rod ends (inner and outer) control arm bushings and thats all I could find out from youtube so everyone what else should I replace just to be on the safe side I heard of Nolathane bushes but where/which ones - where do they go? Or any other things I should do?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I think I know what you mean, steering very twichy(on a knife edge). In really questionable road conditions one side will pick up more grip and want to pull it that way and then the other side gets more and pulls it that way, really disconcerting in wet weather when it's really bad.
Go nolathane website and look up your model it will show all the bushes, wear they go and part numbers so very easy to order then at your local parts place.
If your doing inner/ outer lower control arm bushes ( can be done with a big strong vice but really need a press to push old bushes out ).
You might as well do fwd radius rod bushes also, that only leaves strut top mount/ bearing, so while you're there might as well spend money and do them also especially if high mileage and haven't been changed in a long time ( you'll need spring compressors ).
Only other ones left are sway bar links and d bushes.
Then another wheel alignment.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If your steering is twitchy like mine was and tended to wander when cornering it will most likely be the tierod ends. Bushes are easy to get out but one set are hard to get back in. You can burn the old ones with a map torch or butane torch and then cut them with a hacksaw blade to finish them off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If ball joints are buggard it might be almost as cheap to buy reco arms.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
With the issue your facing, the inner control arm bushes will be the cause....It is possible other parts mentioned are worn but 99% of the time, the inner control arm bushes are the cause of the twitchiness

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
With the issue your facing, the inner control arm bushes will be the cause....It is possible other parts mentioned are worn but 99% of the time, the inner control arm bushes are the cause of the twitchiness
i had same issue as OP. Bushes were knackered. I replaced the left TRE and once it was wheel aligned it drove great. I later had the arms replaced with new bushes and TBH the improvement was barely noticeable. With the worn TRE i couldn't corner over 80kmph. It was that bad i thought i was going to run off the road.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
have done a wheel alignment

Name and shame the place that did the wheel alignment and didn't spot the problem with tie rod/ball joints/steering rack ends etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Previous owner had two tyres and an alignment done on the ute not long before I bought it. My TRE was so bad it had up and down movement. KTAS picked up the issue when i had a safety check done for my own peace of mind. TRE must have been stuffed when Jax aligned it only six months earlier. Unreal what some places will let go. My TRE was so bad the alignment couldn't be done according to KTAS. Yet Jax apparently aligned it, i think not......