Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering/Suspension Issue

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Did a bit of a search but couldn't find anything similar.

I've noticed an issue with my car lately where there is something wrong in the front end. The ride has deteriorated to the point where some bumps will make the car feel like its bouncing side to side, like a harsh wobble. Sometimes it feels like something is loose in the other end of the steering. It's like a shock is gone, but they are only a year old (FE2) and the car doesn't do the bouncing when pushing the corners down, seems like they are in good nick.

Also, when steering around corners the car doesn't seem to track where it used to, its a bit floaty and unpredictable.

The passenger strut tower has a bit of a crack in it which I will be fixing soon, however I doubt it's allowing enough flex to do this. The strut top rubbers are gone too, but talking to people this probably wouldn't cause the problems I'm having.

Under the car I can't really see anything wrong. The bushes all look a bit old, but nothing looks loose or broken.

Has anyone had anything similar or know where to look first?

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Well after a bit more research it seems that the strut top rubbers and bearings are causing most of the problems I'm experiencing. I'm trying to chase up a SuperPro set for a good price as they seem to be the best for strength and ride.

I'll then replace sway bar link pins & bushes, and then radius rod bushes. Also need a camber kit...

If only those bush packs on ebay contained all of these, they seem to be the most commonly failing bushes.

Then I need to find what's causing the miss at idle and lack of low end power...

I really believe this car hates me...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do the SuperPro strut tops for the VT. Depending on where you are I can work out a price. I would do the front struts at the same time, your symptoms also point to worn struts.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
I do the SuperPro strut tops for the VT. Depending on where you are I can work out a price. I would do the front struts at the same time, your symptoms also point to worn struts.

I should hope not, they are only around a year old. I'll see how they go after I fix the rest up. I'm in NSW if you want to PM me some prices :).

joker86

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq
the sway bar links are notorious for wear, even the "heavy duty" S bend shaped ones. My mechanic put me onto ones that have a ball joint TOP and BOTTOM. UN-F***KEN-BELIEVABLE, 2.5 years and still going !! And I give the bitch a beating around corners, roundabouts, shopping centre speed humps and the like. If you look under the current V8 supercars and see what they have, you'll see. But i have NEVER seen them for sale on ebay, REPCO etc. apparently avail around november 2009 for public use he reckons.