Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering vibrations after front break pads replaced

tomsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega VE series 2 LPG sedan
After front break pads replaced my car steering wheel has vibrations. These vibrations only happen between speed of 80~105kmh. Strong enough to visually see steering wheel shaky and I can feel some heavy dull vibration noise coming from engine bay.

Is the tyre balance gone off somehow or pads touching somewhere?

There are no other issues.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Did you put the wheels back on properly?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
When you replaced the pads, did you do anything else while you were there? Machine rotors/replace rotors?,check for a lip at the inner or outer edge of the rotor? How many kms since replacing the pads did the shake start?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
May have lost a wheel weight when taking wheels off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Does the shudder occur under braking and more so when going down hills? If yes then the rotors should have been machined. If an auto i pretty much machine or replace rotors every pad change. This normally stops shudder. I know a lot of places say its ok to not machine but when I have replaced pads and not done rotors as well it has tended to shudder.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Same thing has happened to me. My rotors had a very light skim machined off but not a proper full machine because the machinist didn’t want to take them undersized.

I’d rather he didn’t machine them all, but he did and he charged me (reduced rate) so I fit them and it has just a very slight shudder. But mostly at low speed.

I’ll be fitting new rotors soonish.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Make sure the pads were installed correctly. I have seen it plenty of times when both outer pads are on one side & both inner pads on the other side. This will cause one side to drag. To check jack up your car & spin the front wheels. If one side free spins & the other drags your pads are installed wrong

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Make sure the pads were installed correctly. I have seen it plenty of times when both outer pads are on one side & both inner pads on the other side. This will cause one side to drag. To check jack up your car & spin the front wheels. If one side free spins & the other drags your pads are installed wrong
I could be wrong, but from memory I thought front pads were the same inner and outer on the VE?

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
That's why so many people stuff it up. Fronts are definitely inner & outer, rears are not

Hmm ok I’ll have to check this too then. I’m sure when replacing them I would have checked if there was inner and outer but now I’m second guessing myself.

What are the differences and which pad goes inner and which goes outer?