Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel audio controls

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
hey guys
i had my new stereo installed on the weekend :whistling and now my steering wheel audio controls are no longer connected (or needed).

if i take these off (to sell on ebay etc), will it leave holes in the sides of the steering wheel? how do you take them off?

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
leave them on and buy a cats eye controller from srathfields/autoban and so on and you can use your wheel buttons again

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
will that work with all head units? i've got a JVC KW-AVX700

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
and how much is this cats eye controller $$$$.
doing double din pioneer in mine soon and was told round $300 for the controller which is pretty harsh

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
bassmansimon said:
hey guys
i had my new stereo installed on the weekend :whistling and now my steering wheel audio controls are no longer connected (or needed).

if i take these off (to sell on ebay etc), will it leave holes in the sides of the steering wheel? how do you take them off?
The holes won't be visible. You will have to remove the horn pad to undo the controls.There are 4 screws behind the steering wheel to remove the pad. You will need a torx socket to remove the screws.
I have not removed the audio control myself so I don't know if you have to remove the steering wheel and shroud as well to disconnect them.

Last edited:

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
accentstencil said:
The holes won't be visible. You will have to remove the horn pad to undo the controls.There are 4 screws behind the steering wheel to remove the pad. You will need a torx socket to remove the screws.

Looking at doing the same would it be an idea to disconnect the battery just incase you set off the airbag while your playinig round that area ;) ;) ;)

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
most new decks wiht remote control will work with cats eyes
they range from 100-200 bux
bit pricey but worth it in the end
works with pioneer sony kenwood alpine jvc and so on

bassmansimon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S 5 speed
oh right sounds like a bit more work than i originally thought. was hoping for a "they just clip off" kind of answer. maybe i'll leave it for now until someone more experienced has a go. i used to own a corolla, and that was my DIY audio car. i'm not gonna risk screwing this one up though.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
meh, I have left mine on... at least if I ever sell on, I can just re-install the stock blaupunkt unit. :)

I heard that Stinger is the best adapter, and works for 95% opf units, and rrp is $249...