Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel cant move after replace the steering pump

sekiflying

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I having a leaking in my pump

I pull it out(with the hose, ask the nut broking on the top) today, and replace all the seal in the pump.

After I reinstall it, I found my steering wheel can not turn.

Any ideas? is I need to bleed out the air in the system?

I found some post in here, but I still not too understand.

Should I jack up the car and turn the wheel manually? Can I do it with the engine off, Parking gear and hand brakes on?

I think it is silly question, I just want to fix my car = ="

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yes, you need to bleed the system. Jack the front of the car up, and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel from full lock left to full lock right a few times. Check the level of the fluid. When it stops making the whining noise, it should be fine.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
You need to bleed the system. From Gregory's: Raise the front of the vehicle so that wheels are clear of the floor. With engine stopped, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times. Top up the fluid as necessary. Repeat until the fluid level remains constant. Start the engine. With engine at idle speed, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times, contacting the lock stops lightly. When no air bubbles appear in the fluid reservoir and the fluid level remains constant, the system can be considered bled."

Leave the transmission in PARK, hand brake on and chock up the back wheels.

I put a new seal kit in the VR and bled the system a couple of times without achieving any power assistance. It turned out that I had re-assembled the pump incorrectly. The two pins that pass through the 'bits and pieces' inside the pump need to engage properly in the two holes at the front end of the power steering housing.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If your steering wheel can't turn at all then you have probably engaged the steering lock.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
if bleeding the system doesnt work. I know there is a little strainer or valve that goes in before one of the hose fittings. If its in backwards you have no power assist. I know from experience.....

sekiflying

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
I also found out the the 4 nuts on the pully become loosing when I the engine running.
I am pretty sure I tight it up normally.

I think I bend a bit of the seal which in front of the pump(Because I had trouble to put it into pump)
Is the loosing because of the front seal? will I fix it if I replace a new pump?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The seal won't affect the bolts. It will probably leak fluid though.

If you tighten the bolts up with the belt on or with the pullet not seated on the pump, they may come loose. If it's really a problem you can apply some Loctite or Pernatex thread locking compound onteh bolt threads before installing them.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
See if you can get hold of another pump. I rebuilt one so it was ready when I took the other out. You can get them from people wrecking commodores for next to nothing.

As above post if you bent the seal it will prob leak. Wont affect the 4 pully bolts. I replaced those bolts with high tensile ones from a nut an bolt place. Didn't cost much at all. I had stripped one of the original bolts thats why i replaced them. Well the bolts were on since new as power steering pump lasted 350k.