Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel controls are F@#$%D

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
I am having the usual VY problem with the steering wheel controls on my VY Exec (VOL DOWN turns the thing louder, MUTE changes to radio etc.), but it only happens at certain times. The car is still under warranty and i want it fixed but knowing my luck the bloody things will decide to work properly when i take it to Holden. If this happens will they replace it on say so or do they actually need to see that it is rooted?

1Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S2 SV8
Haha join the club, mine started doing the same thing a couple of weeks ago except mine was screwed all the time. I finally decided to call my local Holden dealer to get them to fix it since my car still has 14 months left on the warranty. Yip you guessed it, on the way home that day the buttons sorted themselves out so I rang them up and told them it's working properly again, but they said to still bring it in and they'll do the mod to stop it happening again.

Mossman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Exec
Did they replace the buttons or just fix the problem?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the buttons themselves are fine, the problem is either a bad connection behind the airbag or the wiring is damaged by a screw in the airbag

Rob

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I had mine replaced under warranty. They replaced the buttons and the new ones had a much softer action (old buttons had a definate click, new ones don't). It fixed the problem for about twelve months although it has started again and the car is out of warranty.

Should these have a life time replacement warranty?

Dr Bob, if it is a connection/wiring problem, how do I find it?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
pull the airbag off (special tool needed) clean & tighten the connector for the controls.

Rob

phatwagon4u

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
Doctor Bob said:
pull the airbag off (special tool needed) clean & tighten the connector for the controls.

Rob
what do you mean by tighten the connector?
isnt there already a locking lug on the connector to stop it coming off.......and you cant backprobe the wires out to ajust the pin tension?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Marks-VY said:
I had mine replaced under warranty. They replaced the buttons and the new ones had a much softer action (old buttons had a definate click, new ones don't).

Yep, what Mark said.

Mine were only doing it occasionally too, but Holden still replaced them without having to see that they were faulty.

Doctor Bob said:
the buttons themselves are fine, the problem is either a bad connection behind the airbag or the wiring is damaged by a screw in the airbag).

Then how come the buttons feel totally different (better) after they are fixed by Holden?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
davey g-force said:
Yep, what Mark said.

Mine were only doing it occasionally too, but Holden still replaced them without having to see that they were faulty.

Then how come the buttons feel totally different (better) after they are fixed by Holden?

some dealers are still replacing them for this fault, unplugging the connector to replace them usually fixes it for a while.

the switches may be revised i havent noticed, not having replaced a set for 6 months or so.

Rob