Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel controls

Lachlan2104

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore 2003 vu S series 2 ute
Hey guys. I have the original stereo and i would like to up guard, possibly to a stereo/gps.. Will most of them work with the original buttons in the steering wheel? Recommendations on good units? And where can i find a tray for the back of 2003 commodore ute? Oh and best place to buy rims?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Depends on how much you want to spend, you can get cheap ebay units with built in steering wheel control. I bought a more expensive Eclipse unit which also has built in steeling wheel control which only required one wire to work.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
that's right , only the double din on ebay you will find have the gps built in , unless you go with pioneer which are over a 1000 bucks and need extras too , u can get eonon brands which are around mid range and have steering wheel control , but don't go for to cheap units.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
that's right , only the double din on ebay you will find have the gps built in , unless you go with pioneer which are over a 1000 bucks and need extras too , u can get eonon brands which are around mid range and have steering wheel control , but don't go for to cheap units.
What about single din with a screen? Or one of the Sony xPlod units with smartphone link ability?

Hmm?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
What about single din with a screen? Or one of the Sony xPlod units with smartphone link ability?

Hmm?

well u can but I find the single screen is a pain as when its out it covers part of your controls on the dash unless you put it at the bottom and fit a pocket at the top, and sony are crap and far as I know you can't use the remotes on the steering wheel which his after with that unit , also what if ya phone out of range and then your smart phone not going to work hmm ,
you can get units with the apps for gps , and yes you can get units with steering wheel capabilities but u have to buy add on's. every one to them shelf.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
well u can but I find the single screen is a pain as when its out it covers part of your controls on the dash unless you put it at the bottom and fit a pocket at the top, and sony are crap and far as I know you can't use the remotes on the steering wheel which his after with that unit , also what if ya phone out of range and then your smart phone not going to work hmm ,
you can get units with the apps for gps , and yes you can get units with steering wheel capabilities but u have to buy add on's. every one to them shelves.

806aa8ea58ec2a088aa2380c4bd280a8c85ad8abb2512d138b02b4bd101b0575.jpg

to the op, most brand name headunits require a steering wheel controller inferface.

http://aerpro.com/p.php?pcode=CHVTVXA

plus a small adapter to the particular unit.

purcasing one of these will simplify the installatiopn of the headunit aswell.