Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Glue

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The trouble with a lot of those solvents is that they may dissolve/melt the rubber/foam material inside the rim....once you inject one you have reached the point of no return!
But then again, if they do dissolve the rubber/foam inner maybe when the solvent dries it will lock it all together without the need for a glue.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
i'd guess acetone as the most readily available for epoxy, however at work we use a number of solvents with epoxy resin, N butanol, N butanol acetate, Metheyl Ether Ketone (MEK) Toloune (I think thats the spelling, we call it Tolly most of the time) even Isopropanol alcohol might work (IPA)

Cool. Thanks.

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Hi again, So it turns out the steering wheel had been reglued before. I've tried to reglue it again (using syringe from printer refill pack - great idea, thanks!) but it's a mess in there from the old glue and the new glue has let go again already.

I've used vb cord to lash down the rubber on the top side of the wheel and there is no movement there now. Reckon that will get through roadworthy? If not where do you recommend getting a replacement wheel from and is hard to fit yourself?

Cheers,

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
epoxy or araldite is the way to go, because it uses a catalyst to harden it will harden in the sealed enviroment, use some acetone (Or nail polish remover if your desperate its the same stuff 99% of the time) to thin it out, use a syringe from a printer cartridge refill kit, a thumb tack can be used to create a pilot hole, do it from the rear of the wheel and no one will ever know.

As Greenfoam said, this can be dangerous, but honestly, anyone old enough to drive should have the brains to do this without killing yourself, otherwise Mr Darwin says you really shouldn't be on the planet anyway.

Do it ina few spots around the wheel, every few inches or so if your keen enough. My mate did his car last year, he used RT1 a product our company makes, it sets hard as concrete, we do not know of any solvent that can break it down or even soften it, it's tough as all **** really :p If it was legal i'd start buying it and making wheel repair kits for sure.

System

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ commodore exec
id say go to the wreckers to get a second hand one, the should be pretty cheap

was about the same thing, some steering wheels there are actually in better condition, they r stored in shelves- not out in the sun all day

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Hi again, So it turns out the steering wheel had been reglued before. I've tried to reglue it again (using syringe from printer refill pack - great idea, thanks!) but it's a mess in there from the old glue and the new glue has let go again already.

I've used vb cord to lash down the rubber on the top side of the wheel and there is no movement there now. Reckon that will get through roadworthy? If not where do you recommend getting a replacement wheel from and is hard to fit yourself?

Cheers,

I think that you're only going to get one shot at a repair in each spot as the glue (at least with epoxy) doesn't leave much space between it and the steel frame of the wheel for more (glue) and it's hard to get it there.

A replacement wheel usually won't be hard to fit, just one hut holding it in place after the horn cover is removed. Mark the steering column with a felt tip pen before starting so that you can centre the new wheel.

If the nut hasn't been overtightened, the wheel will simply pull off. It will be tight on the tapered splines so you will have to pull quite hard and a gentle wriggle of the wheel helps. Leave the nut on the last few threads to avoid a facial injury when the wheel comes off.

If the wheel is really tight on the splines you can buy a steering wheel puller :))) for the purpose quite inexpensively from any auto parts store (or even K-mart).

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
Thanks for the replies. The wheel has an airbag, is it still easy to remove/replace?

cheers

boults_4545

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 94
OK found the relavent posts. Cheers.