Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel noise

K

krsta

my steering wheel is makin a grinding/squealing noise ne idea what it could b i got the steering pump replaced soo i doubt its that ne one have ne thoughts ????

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
theres a little rubber boot that sits where your steering column goes through your firewall that can make this sorta noise, apparently pretty common. Just put some grease in it, and see if that fixes the problem

volotre

Reaction score
Members Ride
As often as possible
semi'd be right, ihave to mine every couple of months or so. Spray some Tac2 in there.

VEARGH

"Stop,Drop..KaboOm.*
Reaction score
Members Ride
v_R
yeah mine is making the same noise.. gotta fix it !

kymbo28

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S Pack
Check your power steering fluid levels.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I'll claim that rubber boot fix, it will sound like the steering rack, just follow the steering colum up from the rack connection push the boot up and give it a small squirt of some teflon spray, lasts for years.

It's just the outer weather seal rubber grabbing on the dry shaft, seen guys change racks and spend hundreds only to find the same noise still there.

So many seemed to think it was a normal commodore trait, it's not.

{icebox425}

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Hey guys,

I think I've got the same problem as described above. It doesnt sound like the power steering pump working it just sounds like a grinding sound coming from the movement of the steering rack.

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to hands-on car stuff. Where's the best place to access the boot from and what does it look like?

Thanks.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Simple enuf to get someone or yourself under the front to check where it's noise is coming from, racks do stuff up often on commos but the above fix has saved many the cost of a new rack when nothing is wrong with the one being replaced..

The above fix will be heard even if the wheels are off the ground or the rack is remo0ved, at worst bout $100 for another s/h one or $150 for a reco unit, just make sure it's got good tie rods on a s/h one and that it don't come from a front end smash.

Some will fit in without an alignment, but no two will be setup the same, at worst loosen the tie rod and turn em unitil the wheels are about 1/8" toe in.

Finished.

{icebox425}

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
I dont think there's anything wrong with the steering column, I remember the last time the car went to the suspension repairer the guy said he just lubricated something and it worked fine. I'm thinking this is what he did. I'm just not sure where exactly the boot is or where the best place is to access it?