Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel off-center?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
My steering wheel had always been very very slightly off-center to the left. Car never pulls to any side, its just off-center when travelling straight. 6 months ago, I got new tyres and the moment I drove out of the place I noticed my steering wheel was more off-center than before. I never took anymore notice of it until lately. Its now even more off-center than ever. I'm puzzled, what's going on?? What can I do to fix this??

hustlin420

Reaction score
Members Ride
05' VZ Exec
Exact same with me mate. It was pulling a tad to the left before i got my wheels fitted and driving out more so than before. Took it back and they gave it a free alignment

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Rule of thumb - New tyres, new wheel alignment is needed

Tell the guys at workshop its off centre and/or pulling to a side. More info, better to help disgnose and know what to look for.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Steering wheel off centre simply means the wheel aligner didnt do his job correctly.

Bit late to take it back now for a free fix but it needs an alignment done to correct the steering wheel.

NOMISROO

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline
Had car since new and steering wheel has been off centre from the start.
First wheel alignment at 95000 and 3rd set of tyres and alignment was dead on,did not need adjustment.
It's NOT an alignment problem.i suspect the steering wheel needs to come off and be replaced one spline to the right.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
It IS an alignment problem. Taking the steering wheel off to correct it is retarded.

If the steering wheel is off centre then the alignment is not spot on, pretty simple unless your aligner is an idiot.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Further explained when you do a wheel alignment you centre the steering wheel first and lock it in position. This would then show that your toe is now out and needs to be adjusted.

Whoever did your alignment and claimed it was in spec obviously has no idea what they are doing.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
As RiCeY said, there is no need to remove the steering wheel, the adjustment is going to be in the tie rod ends.