Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal, stuck

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have it partially back together. I need to paint the shrouds as the spare one was a slightly different colour. I stripped the paint on the one I bought last year using thinners but I tried doing the same on the spare but the paint was too thick and I would have run out of thinners as I only had 1L. Now i need to wait until tomorrow and get paint stripper I have in town to get it off. Oh the joys of living between two houses.....ha,ha,ha.
I Still have to drill out the snapped bolt in the puller holes on the wheel. Then I will loosely fit the wheel and do 3/4 of it all over again. I will just make sure I bring everything I need with me. I won't have a shift dial and will exposed cables, possibly until next weekend. But at least I can get back home and to work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So now the steering wheel won't go on and I can not figure out why. It's as if the shaft need to come out further. Something is not right and now I'm stuck with no way back to town. Something has been done wrong by the mechanic as it was was fouling on everything and now I can't even push the wheel on far enough. I have had the wheel off twice before and it has never been an issue. All I can think of is the assembly has been put back wrong because I don't have a diagram or the mechanic has fucked it completely.
I can not work out why it isn't going on.

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Again I have to agree with Trev, ...........wow ! .................... I also was going to say your mechanic used a rattle gun and furked it.

I hate these wankers that rattle gun everything in sight. How many wheel studs have I come across that are stretched due to too many "dugga dugga's".

Everything with a bit of feel I always say.

Did you want me to have a look on Monday at UPI for the correct upper bearing housing ?
Losh said his horn wasnt working before his mechanic touched it so perhaps issues was from when he replaced steering column.
Have to agree with you, :) to much use of rattle guns and impact wrenches today resulted in damage plus you end up losing that torque feeling of tightness from your hands, yes you can use cordless tools to screw up slack but the end tightness is best with hand feel and torque wrench to spec. Guess people are to much in a hurry to save time and make $'s

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
So now the steering wheel won't go on and I can not figure out why. It's as if the shaft need to come out further. Something is not right and now I'm stuck with no way back to town. Something has been done wrong by the mechanic as it was was fouling on everything and now I can't even push the wheel on far enough. I have had the wheel off twice before and it has never been an issue. All I can think of is the assembly has been put back wrong because I don't have a diagram or the mechanic has fucked it completely.
I can not work out why it isn't going on.
god whats next, seems you can't catch a break with stuff.... maybe leave it and have a think and a break and try again tomorrow. You never know it could come to you whats going on and work out in the end or wait and order a complete steering column, more money yes but less hassle with unknown things. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
god whats next, seems you can't catch a break with stuff.... maybe leave it and have a think and a break and try again tomorrow. You never know it could come to you whats going on and work out in the end or wait and order a complete steering column, more money yes but less hassle with unknown things. :)

Order a steering column right, and what say to the boss BTW I won't be in for the next 5 days. A SH column is 130 bucks and freight is about 90 bucks to Mathinna. There is nothing wrong with the one I have. For some reason it's not going together right this time. I don't know if it's the bearing housing, or what. I have modified it to miss the NSS. If I put the old bearing housing in, minus the top bearing the wheel goes on. Put the bearing in and the wheel won't go on far enough, to even grab a few threads. Without a diagram I'm fucked.
VS have a slightly different set up which makes it even harder as mine is a VR.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
This will get you out of trouble.
upload_2020-5-10_2-13-12.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well still no luck, pulled the whole column out and everything looks fine. Decided I need to stop and sleep. I'm struggling to get the firewall clamp on now and that means noise to open it up wider.
The shaft is long enough now but might not be when it's driven another 12mm. For a 1-2hr job it's turned into a **** fight. Hopefully with a rest I can finish fairly quickly.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

NSS on Column shift VS models is mounted on the side of the transmission just like it is on all VT models.

Anyway I'm going to UPI tomorrow and I'll look and see if the vehicle there still has it fitted. Oddly models with column shifts seem to have their columns taken out all the time, so there are obviously some inherent problems with them.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
That's a very appropriate Avatar Trev !