Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal, stuck

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I have pulled and reinstalled the column, fitted the old bearing housing and the shaft is still too short. What am I doing wrong here?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Sounds like the collapsible shaft has....collapsed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Which part is collapsible? I've had it out and apart and nothing seems out of place.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The issue is every time I put the bearing housing in the wheel won't go on.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Was the bearing on the bottom correct like you didn't put the bottom at top and vice versa ? Steering shaft was say collapse it would slide in and out of the guts.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Should of taking photos as you pulled it apart, maybe post some photos and someone may have a solution. We are blind here.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have it sorted, mostly. The spring was in the wrong spot, that's all it was. That's why I was hoping someone had a diagram. Now I'm fighting with the lower shaft because I unbolted, it now it's being a bastard to get back on. Need two people I think.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I can't get the shaft to go onto the rack far enough, I need another 10mm. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have never had it not go on far enough before and it's been off at least 6 times.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nearly there I undone the centre shaft and pushed on it ifrom the top of the wheel nut and it went in far enough. I'm now waiting for the retaining compound to set on my steering boss shim before I bolt the wheel on.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Order a steering column right, and what say to the boss BTW I won't be in for the next 5 days. A SH column is 130 bucks and freight is about 90 bucks to Mathinna. There is nothing wrong with the one I have. For some reason it's not going together right this time. I don't know if it's the bearing housing, or what. I have modified it to miss the NSS. If I put the old bearing housing in, minus the top bearing the wheel goes on. Put the bearing in and the wheel won't go on far enough, to even grab a few threads. Without a diagram I'm fucked.
VS have a slightly different set up which makes it even harder as mine is a VR.

hey just a suggestion... Looks like you have found out all the sheet with how GMH used cost saving ways to ftruck up their parts/cars cars, well you live and learn. :)