Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal, stuck

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Back in Town now, shimming the boss seems to have worked ok. I tested my horn about 6 times on the way back and it's all good now.
I still have to remove the wheel once more and fit a plastic spacer in the bearing housing. I took it out as I thought it was stopping the housing from going on. I now don't think it was. My old one never had it but the bearing used to move. The old housing was not perfect but I honestly think it wasn't causing the horn to malfunction. He said it was all broken it was rough and good it's replaced but I think he didn't want to mess around setting the steering wheel to the right height. Not only was the wheel set too deep the connection at the rack was on further than it needed to be.
Funny the two simple problems that had me buggard for hours.
I still have to paint the shrouds and put them back on next time I head home. Think I might have forgotten the primer in all the messing around and getting nowhere.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
Is there anyway of getting the steering wheel off without a puller? Mechanic has set it too deep and now a hard tug is not getting it off. It's rubbing on the NSS and the shrouds and ******* everything underneath. It would be why my horn is playing up too.
Am I realistically looking at steering column removal as my only option?
Get the idiot who put it on to get it off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thats what I reckon. he f#%ked, he fixes it!

Yeah it would be nice, but that kind of thing doesn't happen in North Tas at least. Mech messed up and didn't disconnect my balance shaft, when he fitted the new chain kit, ended up costing me $300 in labour and close to $80 in parts and now I have more coolant leaks.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah it would be nice, but that kind of thing doesn't happen in North Tas at least. Mech messed up and didn't disconnect my balance shaft, when he fitted the new chain kit, ended up costing me $300 in labour and close to $80 in parts and now I have more coolant leaks.

Maybe it needs some sealant on the bolts that go through into the water jackets in the block? There should have been no reason to take the pump off the timing cover.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe it needs some sealant on the bolts that go through into the water jackets in the block? There should have been no reason to take the pump off the timing cover.

Yeah that's what I couldn't work out why he put sealant on the water pump and the gasket since he didn't last time and like yeah the pump didn't really need to come off anyway. He uses Holden sealant on the bolts but some were pitted he said.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah that's what I couldn't work out why he put sealant on the water pump and the gasket since he didn't last time and like yeah the pump didn't really need to come off anyway. He uses Holden sealant on the bolts but some were pitted he said.

Sounds like he is wanting you to fund his retirement, as it sounds like he isn't a mechanics asshole...Me personally, I'd be getting him to fix his f'ups out of his own pocket...Not yours

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Something has gone wrong with the bastard again. I took the wheel off to fit the white bush into the bearing housing and now no matter what I try the spring and circlip won't go back on. I even tried removing the bush to no avail. It's like the internal shaft has slipped down inside. The spring binds before I can put the circlip on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20200517_132316_resized.jpg