Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

steering wheel swap vt

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
Greeting fellow posters .......Shauna Tova.....Happy New Year to you all...

Now to my dilemma.... as discussed in previous threads ...I'm fat ...and as such am finding difficulty driving with regards to gut to steering wheel clearance.....being fully aware of the illegality of removing the air bag steering wheel I am prepared to risk the chance of a defect.....

Consequently I am hoping to install an old style SAAS 10 inch or 250mm (for you metric minded types) and a conversion hub or information regarding such conversions to suit I essentially need a wheel that is round and not with an of set centre as modern wheels are...

Any advice would be welcome and please keep the fat jokes and sledging to a minimum I know how you all feel .

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
While you may be prepared to risk the chance of a defect, I am not prepared to run the risk of having an accident with someone like you. When your insurance is null and void, and you put me or someone else in hospital and/or damage my/someone elses property, and your insurance refuses to pay out, it will be hell to pay.

As someone who was 120kg, and knows someone who drives a VY and is over 160kg, if you can't fit behind the steering wheel, you need a diet, not a different steering wheel.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Just in case you are not aware, they steering wheel can be adjusted to a certain extent. Not everyone knows that.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
I suppose you have already adjusted the wheel/seat to clear your midrift?( or mid-drift!!) but may still be a problem if you cant reach the pedals with seat back or your arms are maybe too short to reach the wheel..)
I wouldnt risk changing the steering wheel - if you have a prang you will regret it.
Only option is to try out another type of car that accommodates your dimensions and sell your commo...(or go on a diet unless you have a medical condition that has caused you being over weight)
Not much else you can do im afraid...

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Not entirely sure with this but if you run the car without the airbag in the steering wheel it will bring up an airbag fault which will disable all airbags in the vehicle. If so and you have an accident where yourself or a passenger gets hurt and the airbags don't deploy then your in for a world of pain.