Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel vibrates when braking

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV Redline Auto Sedan
Hi
Appreciate any suggestions as to why my steering wheel shakes when braking. Shakes more violently if braking from higher speed but shakes to a degree at any speed when braking.
Ssv 2015. Everything stock. Owned from new. Only 15000kms from new. No track work or ridiculous (!) driving. I know brakes, pads, rotors are 'consumables' but due to low kms I will be pushing for it to be rectified under the 5 yr Holden warranty. Just chasing any ideas, opinions, advice before I take it back to the dealer who sold it to me new and has done all servicing to date.
Many thanks all.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Most likely needs new front rotors....
Sounds like warped rotors....

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Ron.
Any idea why rotors would be warped after such low kms? Reckon it could be considered as warranty issue?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Given low ks most likely just a result of uneven wear...
I doubt holden would cover it under warranty but worth trying...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi
Appreciate any suggestions as to why my steering wheel shakes when braking. Shakes more violently if braking from higher speed but shakes to a degree at any speed when braking.
Ssv 2015. Everything stock. Owned from new. Only 15000kms from new. No track work or ridiculous (!) driving. I know brakes, pads, rotors are 'consumables' but due to low kms I will be pushing for it to be rectified under the 5 yr Holden warranty. Just chasing any ideas, opinions, advice before I take it back to the dealer who sold it to me new and has done all servicing to date.
Many thanks all.

How long has it been doing the 'shakes'?

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
How long has it been doing the 'shakes

Noticed it the last couple of weeks. It's not my daily drive. A couple of weeks ago it was very noticeable when I braked hard from about 110 kph and I've noticed it since then braking at any speed. But less noticeable when braking at lower speeds around town. Was going to wait until next service in July but thinking better to get it investigated before then. Not sure why the rotors might have damaged by uneven wear. What causes uneven wear?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Noticed it the last couple of weeks. It's not my daily drive. A couple of weeks ago it was very noticeable when I braked hard from about 110 kph and I've noticed it since then braking at any speed. But less noticeable when braking at lower speeds around town. Was going to wait until next service in July but thinking better to get it investigated before then. Not sure why the rotors might have damaged by uneven wear. What causes uneven wear?

Inspect the front rotors, look for a 'weird' pattern on the friction faces.
They might be dodgy castings, or it might have a transfer of pad material unevenly around the rotors.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Rotors can warp due to sudden cooling. e.g. going through water when they are hot - or even the car wash. I'm pretty sure the warranty won't cover that.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Is it worth doing the bed in process again?

If it’s unevenly transferee pad material doing the bed in process could help.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Is it worth doing the bed in process again?

If it’s unevenly transferee pad material doing the bed in process could help.

No point of that....