Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel vibrates when braking

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Wouldn’t it clean all the old pad material off and lay a new layer??

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Wouldn’t it clean all the old pad material off and lay a new layer??

Maybe ... but if the disc surface is not worn evenly, there is no point of doing that....

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Could be that there are hot spots on the rotor

Before opting to replace the rotors, I’d be looking to machine them to see if that fixes the issue

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Could be one or more of several other things. Loose or worn wheel bearing or ball joint, poor alignment, bent rim, damaged tyre, loose suspension or steering component. Get it looked at ASAP. It will be damaging/causing uneven tire wear every time it occurs.

AndrewSv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6 Black
I had my Disc Warp pretty early 33,000 but it was when i lived at Wollongong and would go down the 2 long mountains and then only live 2 mins from the bottom. So what was happening was the pads were not getting a chance to cool down so when i parked at home they were just sitting on the one spot till they cooled.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Your local brakes shop should be able to give them a light machine to take the warp out. If it’s too seviour then new rotors and they are not a lot of money.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I had a similar problem and put in a set of metal king brake pads and the problem went away ...

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Rotors can warp due to sudden cooling. e.g. going through water when they are hot - or even the car wash. I'm pretty sure the warranty won't cover that.
Yep,no warranty from most,Friends Triton Ute got the wobbles under braking after only 40,000K,both front discs warped for whatever reason.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Brake rotors can warp for any number of reasons with over heating and incorrect cool down being just one cause. That’s why we see cool down laps in all.evels of motor racing. I’ve also seen some porche owners rolling their cars back and forth after race is done and they are back in the pits so brake pads done stay over the same part of a hot rotor for too long (they swear it sucks the heat out and warps or cracks them).

So if you are repeatedly hammering your brakes while on a spirited drive, don’t simply pull over without driving calmly for a while to let the rotors actually cool down. Otherwise you are abusing your vehicle and abuse is not covered under warranty.

But for a dealer to categorically state brakes are not covered under warranty is wrong and bullsh!it should be called for such statements.

If you haven’t been doing such boy racer things on the road, then overheating and warping a rotor on a new low mileage car could be due to brake pad drag causing excessive heat build up. Why the pad is draging on a rotor should be investigated as it could be an assemble or manufacturing fault that causes it. If it is a draging brake pad that is the cause of the wobbles when braking, especially on a car wearing original pads and rotors, then it’s definitely something that should be covered under manufacturers warranty or ACL statutory warranty.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Brake rotors can warp for any number of reasons with over heating and incorrect cool down being just one cause. That’s why we see cool down laps in all.evels of motor racing. I’ve also seen some porche owners rolling their cars back and forth after race is done and they are back in the pits so brake pads done stay over the same part of a hot rotor for too long (they swear it sucks the heat out and warps or cracks them).

So if you are repeatedly hammering your brakes while on a spirited drive, don’t simply pull over without driving calmly for a while to let the rotors actually cool down. Otherwise you are abusing your vehicle and abuse is not covered under warranty.

But for a dealer to categorically state brakes are not covered under warranty is wrong and bullsh!it should be called for such statements.

If you haven’t been doing such boy racer things on the road, then overheating and warping a rotor on a new low mileage car could be due to brake pad drag causing excessive heat build up. Why the pad is draging on a rotor should be investigated as it could be an assemble or manufacturing fault that causes it. If it is a draging brake pad that is the cause of the wobbles when braking, especially on a car wearing original pads and rotors, then it’s definitely something that should be covered under manufacturers warranty or ACL statutory warranty.

Maybe my mother was driving his car, she constantly rode the brake pedal everywhere.