Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel vibrates when braking

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Fair enough. Start with the easy and scalate from there.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Sitting calipers do have a habit of seizing up, due to lack of use

So anyone who buys one of the VFs still sitting on dealer lots should be asking for a caliper service before delivery ?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
To add to this, i reckon my rotors have a issue and need some help as well.

Light braking i get a small shake but under harder braking is smooth as silk.

From my knowledge, steering and rack perfectly fine, as is suspension.
Only happens on light braking, not firm.

I think material on pads. Thoughts?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
uneven material buildup on the rotor is the most common thing. often misdiagnosed as "warped rotors".

Warped rotors is a myth that's been debunked too many times to count - yet here's another thread full of "warped rotors" comments.

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/05/19/6-biggest-brake-rotor-myths-debunked/

http://www.10w40.com/features/maintenance/the-warped-rotor-myth

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/tech-qa/1808-nuts-and-bolts-warped-rotor-myth/

We were recently schooled on warped rotors from some friends over at Baer Brakes (baer.com). First off, it’s exceedingly rare to actually warp a rotor. Instead, the cause of the shudder you feel through the pedal is an uneven buildup of brake pad material on the rotor itself.

Here’s how it works. Modern asbestos-free and nonmetallic brake pads contain different resins in addition to the actual brake material itself. Some of these resins and materials transfer themselves to the rotor face so that there will be adherent (sticky) braking in addition to abrasive braking. In a nutshell, when a brake system is properly bedded in, there’s a thin layer of pad material on the rotors. When you use the brakes hard, such as when coming down a steep grade, the heat buildup causes these resins to loosen. When you stop the vehicle completely, such as at a red light at the bottom of an off-ramp after that steep hill, you actually make an imprint of the brake pad on the rotor, creating a high spot. By the time you get gas or stop for lunch (or whatever) the rotors have had a chance to cool off, but that high spot is still there. As little as 0.0004 inch can be felt through the pedal, and 0.001 inch can be downright annoying. Repeated use just leaves more material on the high spots, making the shudder worse.

Now that you understand what’s going on, here’s what you can do to help combat it. If caught early, you can often eliminate the shudder by rebedding the brakes. To do this, find a safe area where you can make a series of hard slowdowns from 50 mph to about 10 mph. Don’t come to a full stop. Doing this several times will heat up the material on the rotors and help smear it evenly on the face of the rotors again. Then drive around for a little while without stopping much to let the brakes cool off.

3. Brake Rotors Warp
FALSE.

Rotors don’t warp.

Back in the 1970s, in what was probably a scene right out of the movie Dazed and Confused, someone came up with a theory about brake-rotor “warping,” and it totally stuck. Why? Probably because, in layman’s terms, it makes sense.

But then real life happens and this faulty explanation doesn’t hold up to scientific scrutiny.

What is often described as “warping” is actually the presence of two separate phenomena that can happen in isolation or in combination with each other, and neither has anything to do with warping.

These phenomena are:

• Brake torque variation (BTV), and
  • Disc thickness variation (DTV)
BTV is a variation of torque across the rotor’s face which causes the rotor to slip and catch as the brake caliper is engaged. The differences in torque across the rotor may be caused by inconsistencies in the rotor’s finish or metallurgy.

BTV can be caused by uneven deposits of friction material. This might not cause a pulsation in pedal feel, but it will cause vehicle judder or vibration.

DTV, on the other hand, is the result of measuring the thickness of the rotor surface in multiple spots around the rotor. DTV measurement can be found simply by finding the difference between the thickest part of the rotor from the thinnest.

As the rotor’s variable thicknesses pass through the restricted caliper, the piston moves in and out, causing pulsations in the brake pedal while stopping.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it was rotors causing the problem, wouldn't the brake pedal pulse ?? I have never had one that pulsed the brake pedal only the shimmy feel though the steering wheel sometimes so bad that I had to release pressure on the brake pedal.

Warped rears will cause a pulse through the brake pedal....Warped fronts cause a shimmy through the steering wheel

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
An SSVR is an expensive performance machine and demands performance rotors, so if cheap easily warped crap is used, it can be argued they are not fit for purpose under ACL and as such must be replaced.
Can agree with lack of use being a contributor to seized caliber pistons but I would expect that over a much longer period with zero kilometres driven and doubt it would occur if 5000kms are being put on the car each year.
You mean the following critical part where it’s mentioned no abuse and a desire to push for a warranty fix?

Oh, and the reason I often mention ACL is because many retailers simply try to fob people off with some rubbish written on a legally irrelevant piece of paper they call a warranty and use that document to fool people into thinking its gospel. who have valid fault.

Obviously @Flying Scotsman is free to take or discard any comments I make but for you to continually be pushing an attitude that is unhelpful to him when he is looking for a warranty based solution is confusing. Seems you simply dislike anything ACL related.

You must have a crud load of dramas, to have to contact the ACL or threaten to on so many occasions. Seriously mate, you have to look at the issue first, determine the cause and see what the business does to rectify it....Mentioning the letters ACL or ACCC would get their backs up and the likely hood of something being done as a gesture of goodwill would be thrown out the door

And as for anything ACL related.....I dislike you always stating to go down this route for no reason what so ever......It seems when ever someone states they have an issue, you automatically say to go down this path, without even considering what has caused the issue to begin with, nor what the business is going to do to rectify the problem.

99% of the time, most reputable business actually bend over back wards (including stealerships) to help out, even if the issue was created by the owner.

Finally, if you were to mention this sort of thing to me, in my workplace, you'd be propbtly shown the gate and asked politely never to come back.....Threats like this get backs up straight away, which result in no help what so ever

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To add to this, i reckon my rotors have a issue and need some help as well.

Light braking i get a small shake but under harder braking is smooth as silk.

From my knowledge, steering and rack perfectly fine, as is suspension.
Only happens on light braking, not firm.

I think material on pads. Thoughts?

I would say the rotors would need machining or replacing....Generally, when rotors start to warp, you feel it under light braking first and from that it generally gets worse....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Warped rears will cause a pulse through the brake pedal....Warped fronts cause a shimmy through the steering wheel
Good to know that. We have a shimmy or pulse and i can't remember which now on the Outlander. I will take note now and tell the mech as rear pads are due, he said. Might have to get new rotors as not many places machine in Launceston.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Good to know that. We have a shimmy or pulse and i can't remember which now on the Outlander. I will take note now and tell the mech as rear pads are due, he said. Might have to get new rotors as not many places machine in Launceston.

Personally, I prefer replacing rotors rather than machining them....I have found over the years, machining them is a short term fix, rather than a long term one.....Of course this a personal choice, and sometimes finances determine the outcome at the time