Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel vibrates when braking

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah must say I haven't even priced them up for the wife's bus. It might work out cheaper to replace if we don't have to use gen parts or risk voiding warranty. Local bloke is more than happy for me to supply parts. Plus he doesn't have a brake lathe.
I could probably even replace them myself, kinda rather not though since the car is only three years old.

Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV Redline Auto Sedan
Thanks for all the replies.
So I'm thinking either take it to Pedders for their $28 check that includes brakes, or to the RAC for their one free 30 minute diagnosis for members, and then, based upon their findings, taking it back to the Holden dealer who sold it to me, and has done all the servicing on the car to date?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks for all the replies.
So I'm thinking either take it to Pedders for their $28 check that includes brakes, or to the RAC for their one free 30 minute diagnosis for members, and then, based upon their findings, taking it back to the Holden dealer who sold it to me, and has done all the servicing on the car to date?

Either take it to Holden, or the RAC for their free check....Personally, I'd take it to Holden, because it seems ultimately
that's where it will end up for the work to be performed

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah must say I haven't even priced them up for the wife's bus. It might work out cheaper to replace if we don't have to use gen parts or risk voiding warranty.
Don't forget that the only part of the warranty you'd void would be related to the non-genuine parts you install … so at the very worst, the callipers. Something going wrong with callipers due to discs &/or pads would be ridiculously remote; I wouldn't hesitate to do it, if it were me.
Or at least to pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it. :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't forget that the only part of the warranty you'd void would be related to the non-genuine parts you install … so at the very worst, the callipers. Something going wrong with callipers due to discs &/or pads would be ridiculously remote; I wouldn't hesitate to do it, if it were me.
Or at least to pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it. :)

And I most likely will have the wife pay the mech who services the car to do the work. I had a look at it and it looks just like a Commodore rear caliper set up.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
How much is the vibration on a scale of 1 being barely to 10 being strong ?

Markwvysv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Commodore
Hi
Appreciate any suggestions as to why my steering wheel shakes when braking. Shakes more violently if braking from higher speed but shakes to a degree at any speed when braking.
Ssv 2015. Everything stock. Owned from new. Only 15000kms from new. No track work or ridiculous (!) driving. I know brakes, pads, rotors are 'consumables' but due to low kms I will be pushing for it to be rectified under the 5 yr Holden warranty. Just chasing any ideas, opinions, advice before I take it back to the dealer who sold it to me new and has done all servicing to date.
Many thanks all.
Have you checked your brake rotors? Mine was doing the same thing and I had to get my rotors machine as they were slightly warped. My VY only had 102000 klms on it.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
So I'm thinking either take it to Pedders for their $28 check that includes brakes,

....and get hit with a quote for about $12000 of work it doesn't need.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You must have a crud load of dramas, to have to contact the ACL or threaten to on so many occasions. Seriously mate, you have to look at the issue first, determine the cause and see what the business does to rectify it....Mentioning the letters ACL or ACCC would get their backs up and the likely hood of something being done as a gesture of goodwill would be thrown out the door

And as for anything ACL related.....I dislike you always stating to go down this route for no reason what so ever......It seems when ever someone states they have an issue, you automatically say to go down this path, without even considering what has caused the issue to begin with, nor what the business is going to do to rectify the problem.

99% of the time, most reputable business actually bend over back wards (including stealerships) to help out, even if the issue was created by the owner.

Finally, if you were to mention this sort of thing to me, in my workplace, you'd be propbtly shown the gate and asked politely never to come back.....Threats like this get backs up straight away, which result in no help what so ever
I haven’t had a crud load of dramas as you put it.

In fact, most issues I’ve had have been fixed without much drama, just a little inconvenience. And where I’ve had to bring up ACL, usually the intelligent business owner knows the law and almost always stop with their bullsh!t and then start to help resolve the issue.

As to why I mention it. Well most people are not at all aware of their rights in law and most people are annoyed and sometimes stressed by the problem they have and the cost they may have to fork out. And they shouldn’t have to determine exactly what is wrong before requesting a fix (but that’s another thing you don’t understand about ACL). So I try and help them.

If you don’t like to read about such three letter acronyms related things, well stop reading.

If you’ve had bad experiences associated with customers demanding their rights under ACL, well learn from it.

But most of all, stop always trying to belittle people who have a different opinion to yours.

Me, I’ll continue to answer people’s requests for advice and help as I seem fit. If you don’t like it, well go fishing and relax, you may feel better.

Last edited:

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
My old mechanic skipped three pages of posts and just put on a set of metal king disc pads and they gradually took the shimmy out