Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel wobble

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Got a problem with my VS, its a 5 ltr 5 speed executive by the way. At between 90 and 100kms i notice a wobble through the steering wheel as though my front wheels were out of balance.
I've done a search on here and done most of the stuff suggested.
It has new wheels and tyres fitted, the front have been balanced several times by different people, they were found to be right each time. I've also swapped the front wheels, one at a time with a known good wheel. I've fitted new brake discs and pads. I've checked the steering ball joints and tie rod ends and made sure they were all tight. The steering box has a slight knock in it but no leaks and steers well. It's had a wheel alignment done. It has new engine and gearbox mounts done when i fully rebuilt the car (by the way the issue existed prior to the full rebuild). I've measured the wheel distances on both sides to make sure that the car's not bent and everything checks out.
I havn't tested the back wheels as a rear wheel imbalance you feel through the seat and this is clearly through the wheel. An odd thing is that it seems to "pulse" rather than a simple wobble it rises and falls, very strange. I've changed down a few gears and that doesn't make any difference. The exhaust is clear of the car as well. Could it be the tailshaft? I'd think that would come through the seat as well but i'm getting desperate now:mad:

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
bumppp... I get the same problem when I drive above 100 . . . my suspension and steering seem to be making strain noises so i might of those 28 point checks from pedders...

Deathproof

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Stato
New wheels and tyres fitted...was there vibration issues before you changed them over??

Im tipping the new rims might not have "locators" to fit the hub snug on the centre of the disc?!?!.Maybe try an on-car balance?
Id take the car to a reputable suspension place,explain your problem and get them to check your front end and steering..I wouldnt think a tailshaft issue would manifest itself through the steering wheel...

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Check your Disc Rotors.

With the wheel off free spin the rotor, if it's sticks unevenly on the brake caliper then i'd suggest that the wobbling is coming for the disc rotor.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
had the 90-100kmh wobble too, turned out it was either my 18's (bent) or tyres, running 15's now and its gone. and those wheels balanced up fine also at every tyre place I went to.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Death - thaniks for the tip re locators but no thats not it....if i can't track it down then my final solution will be to do as you say and balance the wheels on the car. It's not the wheels or brakesb though, as i mentioned i've tested / replaced them. I've spoken to the local mechanic that i trust and he's offered to have a look at it for me tuesday so maybe i'll have an answer then to share with you all. (fingers crossed)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Rule of thumb, vibration under 80kph, problem with front wheels. Vibration over 80kph, problem with rear wheels. Had the same problem in my VS Calais, fixed by balancing the rear wheels.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Gah, Black i've just seen your post, havn't thought of checking the back wheels. I've done everything else now though. Replaced tie rod ends and that made no difference. In desperation i dropped the tyre pressure, which has gotta make some difference but no, still vibrating / wobbling. One thing the mechanic mentioned was he thought the car was very rough, almost as if it had no suspension travel at all. The front springs were replaced with lowered king springs, and the guy that had it before me was a bit dodgey so i'm wondering if it still has the standard length shocks in there, maybe they're causing some trouble too?
Anyway, i'll try swapping the back wheels on the weekend and see what happens.
Thanks

tt460

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec
The front springs were replaced with lowered king springs, and the guy that had it before me was a bit dodgey so i'm wondering if it still has the standard length shocks in there, maybe they're causing some trouble too?

The only real issue with stock length shocks and lowered springs is at full droop the spring can be moved. And a simple way to check is to jack up the car up so the wheel is hanging down as far as it can go, and try and move the spring with your hands. I have seen a VL with the drivers side wheel pointing 90 degrees cause the owners son had used a angle grinder to lower the springs. and this was in a car park imagaine if they hit a pot hole at 60kms or even faster it could of been much worse.

Anyway back on topic my parents had a EL falcon doing the same thing, after new tyres and alignment it was still there tyres got changed incase they were out of round same thing, rims got swapped with another car vibration still there the rims tested fine on the other car, after a lot of stuffing about it was discovered that it was the rear discs required replacing. stuff all meat on the EL falcons to get machined so perhaps look at getting your rear disc machined and fit new wheel bearing and pads at the same time.