Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wobble

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ill give you guys the symptoms and conditions and please help me determine what's going on here...

Two sets of tyres, new rotors and pads changed last year, front passenger wheel is always wearing waaaay too quick, braking between 70 and above cause the steering wheel to wobble. Wobbling intensity can be altered by turning the wheel (left = more wobble ..... right = less). the steering appears to be off centre, meaning the to go straight i am always turning right slightly, although that may come down to road angle im not sure...

Just had the new tyres fitted, balanced and aligned and will be taking it back next week even though the issue has been happening since my last set of tires were fitted...

Bent rim? Tie rods? ... I love my car but this drives me nutssss

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
How are the caster rod bushes? When you take the car back, get them to check those, as I suspect they're worn out...

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Im not sure but ill have a look at all the bushes tonight, thanks for that advice i didnt think to check those.. Ive thrown a level onto the wheels and it seems the drivers side is bang on level but the passenger side is positively cambered slightly.

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
Sounds like a buckled wheel &/or possible out of true disc rotors.

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Ive just checked the under side of the car and wiggled everything around.. castor arms seem fine and the castor arm bushes have no movement... im stumped....

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Jack the car up and wiggle the wheel 6 & 12, and 3&9. I recently replaced my steering racks in both my cars VY and VX, always had wobble at 90-100kms, after new rubber, wheels, bushes etc etc same thing. Just accepted it ok fine must be the rims, then after the new racks neither car has any wobbles at any speed or under breaking. Not saying that's the problem but don't rule it out.

adam sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
hmm good to note actually.. I checked the wheels at 6-12 and 3-9 and its fine, no movement in the bearings that i can detect. ive also noticed a knocking sounds when i gently rock the steering back and forth on the spot. its not loud but is noticeable. Previous owner had a new strut fitted so assume maybe he hit a gutter too harshly... sooo im thinking now it may be a control arm bushing or a bent control arm. either that or its in the steering rack or inner tie rods :S