Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Step by step

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
In some cases, a few hundred dollars is much better than a half a day at emergency and the pain one suffers while it’s all healing

Exactly, thanks mate. It was sheer agony let me tell ya..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A steep driveway or some sort of funnel certainly helps. It can be done without but can be more tricky. Even a 1.5 liter coke bottle with the end cut off and some electrical tape around the neck to make it a snug fit in the radiator neck will make it easier for the novice.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
While radiator caps are designed to release the pressure to the overflow before releasing it outside of the cap these days which does make them much better than the older designs i would still never open one hot or without squeezing the top hose feeling for pressure if warm.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I’m not a fan of opening a hot cooling system and also don’t think it’s a great idea to pour cold water into an overheated engine block but sometimes there is no other option.

I‘ve been in a situation out in woop woop where I’ve had no option but to remove the radiator cap from a hot cooling system and fill with coolant, so it is possible. However, I’d much prefer to wait until the engine and cooling system has gotten cold to the touch... much much safer and goes with my ocd :cool:

In Russia, they are not so ocd :p

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
So plan is to put maybe a litre of coolant into radiator, jack car up at front, use funnel with more coolant in it, start car and watch temps/wait till bubbles stop then wait till it cools down and add new cap
Thoughts please

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
So plan is to put maybe a litre of coolant into radiator, jack car up at front, use funnel with more coolant in it, start car and watch temps/wait till bubbles stop then wait till it cools down and add new cap
Thoughts please

the vehicle is fine on level ground, you do not need special tools or pythagoras theorems.

you fill the radiator to the very top then start and idle the vehicle for 10 minutes watching the level in the radiator and you add coolant if it drops down from being totally full to the very top where the cap screws in.
after 10 minutes of doing that you can stop the vehicle and put the cap back on then do a short test drive around the block you then wait until it cools(1 hour) then take the cap off and top up if needed.

do not even look at or open the yellow cap overflow while doing any of this.

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
the vehicle is fine on level ground, you do not need special tools or pythagoras theorems.

you fill the radiator to the very top then start and idle the vehicle for 10 minutes watching the level in the radiator and you add coolant if it drops down from being totally full to the very top where the cap screws in.
after 10 minutes of doing that you can stop the vehicle and put the cap back on then do a short test drive around the block you then wait until it cools(1 hour) then take the cap off and top up if needed.

do not even look at or open the yellow cap overflow while doing any of this.
Not planning on looking at or touching the yellow peril

chenka44

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Turned out the radiator cap had come apart inside the neck..couldn't make the bloody cap fit..duh..proud of myself for spotting that. Followed the instructions of Stooge but engineering mode says coolant temp is about 96 degrees..funny..temp gauge is as it always has been

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
but engineering mode says coolant temp is about 96 degrees..funny..temp gauge is as it always has been

that is within the normal range, just make sure in a few days to check the radiator again while it is cold and top up if needed and make sure the overflow(yellow cap) is also at a good level on the dipstick.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
He's after instructions for a complete coolant drain & refill (probably a flush if that's possible with home tools?).
Because I did no know what Brand coolant was in my car I flush it 5 times before i was happt to introduce new RED Coolant. yes still have the photos on the 5 lts Woolworths distilled water getting cleare everytime I flush the car. It took me 1.2 days to do this. yes I'm paranoid but I do a 100% job