Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stepped out of the VY into a VF.

goony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais v V6 wagon
G'day,

I was last seen in VY forum a while ago, now in a 2015 VF Calais V, standard V6. Safe to say it's a little different... lots more beeping at me, and just a few more mod cons.

So I've already consulted a few issues in the forum for oils (Penrite Enviro+), new tyres (Potenzas) and probably should work out if I need to a couple of other bits sorted. At the moment I'm chasing new lamps as a the low beam lamp just crapped out, thinking LEDs.

Apart from a couple of niggles that everyone seems to experience at various times, the car is bloody great.

A couple of interesting bit that I havent seen in chatter are -
...at one particular intersection in Canberra, the HUD speed warning disaapears sometimes, then flashes "255" in the red ring for a second or two before rturning to "80". Only wish I could...
...and it seems easier to get into performance mode once the traction control is disabled by holding the button down till it isolates the modules.

Look forward to contributing what i can, and learning what is available,

JD.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
...at one particular intersection in Canberra, the HUD speed warning disaapears sometimes, then flashes "255" in the red ring for a second or two before rturning to "80"...
Welcome to VF ownership :cool:

The above is a GPS issue.

My portable GPS looses speed indication on one stretch of straight road as it the mapping didn’t have the speed limit defined. A map update fixed that.

On another 50kph indicated local road, which has a tight bend next to a big building, half way around the slow bend the GPS would do an over speed beep before displaying 200kph. This over speed would happen consistently but on occasions it would also decide I was over water. Likely a reflected signal messing with the calculation :cool: and they want self driving to use GPS :eek:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Welcome to VF ownership :cool:

The above is a GPS issue.

My portable GPS looses speed indication on one stretch of straight road as it the mapping didn’t have the speed limit defined. A map update fixed that.

On another 50kph indicated local road, which has a tight bend next to a big building, half way around the slow bend the GPS would do an over speed beep before displaying 200kph. This over speed would happen consistently but on occasions it would also decide I was over water. Likely a reflected signal messing with the calculation :cool: and they want self driving to use GPS :eek:
I jumped from a VY Berlina V8 to a VF SSV so understand the step change in beeping. In some ways I preferred the 4 speed gearbox logic and performance, expecially in WA.
Also yep - cars are a long way south of self-driving in the foreeable. (although 5G will fix all of that ;)).
AI is nowhere near the learning capacity of a human brain.
The VF driver aids are helpful but easily over-riden. I shudder when I think of them being hard to over rule i.e. compulsory - similar to the issues with the 737-Max.
My GPS wants me to do repeated U-Turns on a stretch of the main road at Canning Vale, WA., rather than just get to an industrial site there. So they are falliable and I ignore it often.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Nothing can be done about the deficit in the VF GPS navigation, which has a very rudimentary GPS, certainly nothing like the more sophisticated GPS+GLONASS+TG (terrestrial guidance), as many (if not all) handheld GPS devices (e.g. my Garmin GPSMap64s). My Maps show speed limit circles that are wrong in many areas, with a 60km/h posted local limit showing up as 80km/h (!), and coordinates are at least 400m out of whack. The speed limit thing is a worry. Woe betide anybody stepping on it, with the constabulary hiding yonder behind the trees with radar gun at the ready! Some map updates will fix speed limits, the addition of new streets and blinding of others and new suburbs, but the lack of GPS accuracy, most notable when tapping the INFO button in Navigation, is glaringly obvious against a handheld GPS making more concentrated use of satellite acquisition. I would certainly not rely on the VF navigation when out in woop-woop -- for that, and other muddles, I have both terrestrial and marine GPS devices.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Speed limits coming from our GPS are usually accurate to probably within about 10m.
When the limits haven’t changed since 2012 ...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing can be done about the deficit in the VF GPS navigation, which has a very rudimentary GPS, certainly nothing like the more sophisticated GPS+GLONASS+TG (terrestrial guidance), as many (if not all) handheld GPS devices (e.g. my Garmin GPSMap64s).... but the lack of GPS accuracy, most notable when tapping the INFO button in Navigation, is glaringly obvious against a handheld GPS making more concentrated use of satellite acquisition...
I’m not an expert but I understand there are two parts to position accuracy...

The first is GPS accuracy itself which can be down to the meter range since the US military removed the accuracy restrictions in circa 2007[1]. But due to atmospheric disturbances, actual accuracy can fluctuate somewhat. We still don’t have access to the encrypted correction channel which means we can’t get down to the ten centimetre accuracy range. Luckily our aussie government is planning a satellite based augmentation system (SBAS) which calculates a clear timing correction signal and beams it up to a satellite which retransmits the correction data back down over out continent. Presumably new hardware will be able to use this SBAS timing correction signal to get to tens of centimetres positioning accuracy ;) Since MyLink hardware won’t get updated for SBAS it’s stuck at meter range accuracy :oops:

Map accuracy is dependant on the accuracy of the data itself which is dependant on a range of issues that relate a position to a specific place. Oddly one issue being tectonic plate movement which has resulted in our home moving some 1.5m north over the last 20 years[2]. Supposedly the government is correcting the map data to position the continent to where it actually sits. Over time, this corrected data should make its way to the various GPS devices via map updates ;) Since MyLink wont get map updates, the continent and everything within will always be in the wrong place by 1.5m :oops:

So, yes, MyLink has deficiencies but the core GPS system itself is not the problem... the lack of map data updates and gps hardware/firmware updates are...

[1] gps global positioning system sbas navigation satellites

[2] australia has-moved gps cant keep up

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The accuracy of the GPS in my Ute is very good here on the NSW Central Coast, it use to astonish me how the speed indication would adjust instantly as I passed a speed sign.

In saying that, I've had mine updated last year and the points of interest are still very out of date, for example it still indicates there are speed cameras in areas where they were removed 8 or 9 years ago and it will tell me I'm coming into a school zone in one direction but when I drive back in the opposite I get no warning.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
You,LL love the VF but you'll miss the simplicity of the VY wish I still had my SV8

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
The accuracy of the GPS in my Ute is very good here on the NSW Central Coast, it use to astonish me how the speed indication would adjust instantly as I passed a speed sign.

In saying that, I've had mine updated last year and the points of interest are still very out of date, for example it still indicates there are speed cameras in areas where they were removed 8 or 9 years ago and it will tell me I'm coming into a school zone in one direction but when I drive back in the opposite I get no warning.

How did you go about getting the GPS updated. Did it cost much?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Latest VF maps are circa 2015/16 and cheaper to update during dealer service at i think $130, $250 otherwise.

There is already a thread that spans 28 pages and goes into details of what is the latest version.

Check out post 510 on page 26 of that thread which is the latest statement on the s/w version.

Do take note that post 557 on page 28, currently the latest post, @Mattricho indicates that the dealer told him a later update is coming but I have my doubts as Holden seems to be less than open as to what the versions and what the release schedule are. As such, I suspect the dealer is talking through their butt. Hopefully I’m wrong and a new map update and system software is around the corner where Holden finally ditches the Pandora app from MyLink.

Best to continue dialogue on that thread I guess.

This link, referenced by @Forg on post 25 of the above referenced thread, indicates how to determine the map version...