Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stereo and dash light fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
I have a VN V8 Berlina and the fuse blew the first time when I went over a bump and the stereo and dash lights went out so I changed the fuse and had a look around but cant see why it blew as everytime I turn on my headlights now it blows straight away where as before it was the bumps that made it blow, it's not my stereo as it doesn't blow when I have the stereo on just when I turn headlights on. I installed the stereo myself so hear I was atfirst thinking it was my dodgy work lol
I am seriously at my witts end as I usually know whats going on with my caar:b: :b:

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
i had the same problem on my wifes bm, I had used the wire in the original loom that controlled the illumination of the factory stereo as constant power, it kept blowing the parkers fuse, but stereo worked fine, just a thought!

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
Nah I'm positive it's not the stereo as it was installed ages ago and I've pulled the stereo out and everythings fine there.:b: :b:

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
as i said just a thought, check the original factory loom that the wire that was used to light up original stereo was not earthing out, apart from that might be a trip to auto elec

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
yeah are you using the factory constant and ignition wiring for stereo? if you tapped into another from somewhere and its linked to dash lights in any way your gonna over load that line... even if they are just touching in anyway at some point, did you solder and wrap up the wiring connections? it doesnt take much i did it to my car too

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
hehe worked out what it was. turns out the trailer plug was buggered and was earthing out, so hubby replaced it for me and since I haven't had a problem:w00t: . How the two were connected I have no bloody idea lol