Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo Install/Removal (VN - VS)

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Submitted by Guy Robinson

The information listed on this page may only be used on Just Commodores unless prior negotiations have been made with Guy.

Centre Console
  1. Pull hand brake lever fully up.
  2. Undo zipper below hand brake lever.
  3. Put gear lever into neutral.
  4. Open ashtray and pull up and remove.
  5. Being very carefull lift the gear lever surround up from the rear, near the hand brake. This may take some force and may require a bit of help by using a small pry bar. Do not over force else it may break.
  6. Once lifted from the rear, pull gear lever surround towards the rear of the vehicle.
  7. Disconnect 1x 1 pin plug from cigarette lighter light. This requires the lifting up of tab.
  8. Disconnect 1x 2 pin plug from cigarette lighter.
  9. Lift surround up and turn 90'.
  10. Lift surround up and tilt over gear lever from rear to front.
  11. Mark gear position indicator plate cover for position in relation to white gear lever surround.
  12. Remove gear position indicator plate cover.
  13. Remove plate cover from above PWR/ECON switch.
  14. Being very carefull lift gear lever sliding trim up slightly, twist the rear section down, push slightly forward and pull towards the drivers side of vehicle. Remove trim. Be very carefull not to snap trim in half at gear lever.
  15. Pry small white trim from the front section of the white gear lever surround and remove.
  16. Remove 4x black screws from the white gear lever surround.
  17. Lift white gear lever surround up slightly and twist gear lever indicator bulb holder and pull away from white gear lever surround.
  18. Disconnect 3 pin plug from the PWR/ECON switch wiring.
  19. Remove white gear lever surround.
  20. Loosen 2x large screws from front of centre console. Do not remove just loosen.
  21. Lift centre console lid up and carpet up in the bottom of the console well.
  22. Remove 2x 10mm nuts from under the carpet in the console well. (may be 2x screws)
  23. Close console lid and place gear lever into first gear position.
  24. Lift the rear of the centre console up about 50mm wilst pulling to the rear about 50mm. Lift the rear of the centre console up and over the gear lever and hand brake lever then slide centre console rearwards. Be carefull of electric window wiring (undo plugs at front of centre console underneith stereo surround) if fitted. Remove centre console.

Stereo/Switch/Vent Control Surround Trim
  1. Open glovebox and remove black plastic pin from inside glovebox on right hand side of the glovebox by using a large flat blade screwdriver and twisting the blade behind the pin to pry it out.
  2. Remove glovebox.
  3. Drop fuse cover panel (beneith steering wheel column) by turning 3x plasic clips 90' using the vehicles ignition key.
  4. Remove black plastic pin from the left hand lower corner of the fuse cover panel by using a large flat blade screwdriver and twisting the blade behind the pin to pry it out.
  5. Remove fuse cover panel.
  6. Remove 3x screws from lower section of black stereo surround.
  7. Pry black stereo surround from the bottom and pull outwards slightly. Pry the top of surround outwards. Do not over exert surround trim at it may break and be carefull of using prying bars as they may damage the stereo surround or outer trim surround.
  8. Disconnect 2 pin LED wiring by squeezing the female plug at the sides and pulling the male section away from it. Remove other wiring connected to any switches attached to the black stereo surround (such as antenna controls).
  9. Remove black stereo surround trim.
  10. On the left hand side of the drivers foot well next to the copper heater pipes you will find a small steel rod attached to a pivoting arm assembly by a white clip. This rod will move if you turn the temperature control knob. Pry the top half of the white clip away from the pivoting arm. It only releases from one side the other acts as a hinge, do not force the wrong one.
  11. Pry the small metal rod away from its white clip holder.
  12. Remove 1x metal thread screw from about the middle left hand side of the vent control unit and pull control unit out about 40mm.
  13. Disconnect 1x 6 pin electrical plug, 1x 4 pin electrical plug and 1x vacuum hosing assembly from the rear of the vent control unit. You may need to pry the vacuum hosing assembly to remove.
  14. Pull vent control unit out.
  15. Remove 3x screws down the left hand side (glove box) of the main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim.
  16. Remove 3x fine metal thread screws from the right hand side (fuse trim cover) of the main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim.
  17. Remove 4x fine metal thread screws from the front of the main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim undernieth the stereo head unit.
  18. Remove main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim.
  19. Remove 1x screw holding passengers side centre console transfer duct and remove ducting.
  20. Remove 1x screw holding drivers side centre console transfer duct and remove this ducting.
  21. If stereo has not been taken out befor there should be 2x screws/small bolts attached to the stereo brackets at the rear of the stereo. These can be a pain but if you remember that you are working the screws/small bolts facing the wrong way as you work on them it is easier to do.
  22. Remove 2x screws on the stereo brackets at the front of the stereo.
  23. Pull stereo forward about 200mm.
  24. Disconnect the antenna cable (may be easier if you twist it slightly) and the main power/speaker plug from stereo. Some units have extra cables for CD units.
  25. Remove stereo head unit.
  26. Done.

Refitting

The main things to remember about refitting is to do everything in reverse but take particular attention to the repositioning of the automatic gear lever's indication panel.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
and for anyone who is looking for the wiring colours... here

Accesories - Yellow
Constant - Orange/White
Illumination - Brown/White
Earth - Black/White
12V OUTPUT - Yellow/Red
Radio Mute - Yellow/Black (VT onwards)
Antenna up - White (VR onwards)
Antenna down - Blue (VR onwards)
Illumination OUTPUT - Grey (VT onwards)

Speakers
Front Left (+) - Tan
Front Left (-) - Grey
Front Right (+) - Light/Green
Front Right (-) - Dark/Green
Rear Left (+) - Brown/Black
Rear Left (-) - Yellow/Blue
Rear Right (+) - Blue/Orange
Rear Right (-) - Blue/Black

Benji

Vote For Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VR - VS Stato V8
alot of stuff in that head unit removal is unneccesary i did not open the glove box nor the fuse part i just pulled it and it just un clips just pull every thing you want to get out and it will come but try and equal out the force over the hole thing

And thanks for that Troy very usfull
Cheers Benji

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Any pics floating around to do this? I have a VS Calais tho.

Zaibatsu100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i have a VN commodore berlina and i cant find my earth cable?

do i need one?

B

billvstaty

need a wiring diagrame for my vs statsman i have proble with my new stereo i put in i cant use the old speaker cable as it only works on one speaker.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Zai, The head unit earths itself to the chassis of the car, where fitted put a bigger washer on any head unit mounting bolt and run the earth to and under it.

Bill, At worst new speaker cables need to be fitted, join the new one to the old cable and pull it through.

V

vnberlwagon

Darren said:
Submitted by Guy Robinson

The information listed on this page may only be used on Just Commodores unless prior negotiations have been made with Guy.

Centre Console
  1. Pull hand brake lever fully up.
  2. Undo zipper below hand brake lever.
  3. Put gear lever into neutral.
  4. Open ashtray and pull up and remove.
  5. Being very carefull lift the gear lever surround up from the rear, near the hand brake. This may take some force and may require a bit of help by using a small pry bar. Do not over force else it may break.
  6. Once lifted from the rear, pull gear lever surround towards the rear of the vehicle.
  7. Disconnect 1x 1 pin plug from cigarette lighter light. This requires the lifting up of tab.
  8. Disconnect 1x 2 pin plug from cigarette lighter.
  9. Lift surround up and turn 90'.
  10. Lift surround up and tilt over gear lever from rear to front.
  11. Mark gear position indicator plate cover for position in relation to white gear lever surround.
  12. Remove gear position indicator plate cover.
  13. Remove plate cover from above PWR/ECON switch.
  14. Being very carefull lift gear lever sliding trim up slightly, twist the rear section down, push slightly forward and pull towards the drivers side of vehicle. Remove trim. Be very carefull not to snap trim in half at gear lever.
  15. Pry small white trim from the front section of the white gear lever surround and remove.
  16. Remove 4x black screws from the white gear lever surround.
  17. Lift white gear lever surround up slightly and twist gear lever indicator bulb holder and pull away from white gear lever surround.
  18. Disconnect 3 pin plug from the PWR/ECON switch wiring.
  19. Remove white gear lever surround.
  20. Loosen 2x large screws from front of centre console. Do not remove just loosen.
  21. Lift centre console lid up and carpet up in the bottom of the console well.
  22. Remove 2x 10mm nuts from under the carpet in the console well. (may be 2x screws)
  23. Close console lid and place gear lever into first gear position.
  24. Lift the rear of the centre console up about 50mm wilst pulling to the rear about 50mm. Lift the rear of the centre console up and over the gear lever and hand brake lever then slide centre console rearwards. Be carefull of electric window wiring (undo plugs at front of centre console underneith stereo surround) if fitted. Remove centre console.

Stereo/Switch/Vent Control Surround Trim
  1. Open glovebox and remove black plastic pin from inside glovebox on right hand side of the glovebox by using a large flat blade screwdriver and twisting the blade behind the pin to pry it out.
  2. Remove glovebox.
  3. Drop fuse cover panel (beneith steering wheel column) by turning 3x plasic clips 90' using the vehicles ignition key.
  4. Remove black plastic pin from the left hand lower corner of the fuse cover panel by using a large flat blade screwdriver and twisting the blade behind the pin to pry it out.
  5. Remove fuse cover panel.
  6. Remove 3x screws from lower section of black stereo surround.
  7. Pry black stereo surround from the bottom and pull outwards slightly. Pry the top of surround outwards. Do not over exert surround trim at it may break and be carefull of using prying bars as they may damage the stereo surround or outer trim surround.
  8. Disconnect 2 pin LED wiring by squeezing the female plug at the sides and pulling the male section away from it. Remove other wiring connected to any switches attached to the black stereo surround (such as antenna controls).
  9. Remove black stereo surround trim.
  10. On the left hand side of the drivers foot well next to the copper heater pipes you will find a small steel rod attached to a pivoting arm assembly by a white clip. This rod will move if you turn the temperature control knob. Pry the top half of the white clip away from the pivoting arm. It only releases from one side the other acts as a hinge, do not force the wrong one.
  11. Pry the small metal rod away from its white clip holder.
  12. Remove 1x metal thread screw from about the middle left hand side of the vent control unit and pull control unit out about 40mm.
  13. Disconnect 1x 6 pin electrical plug, 1x 4 pin electrical plug and 1x vacuum hosing assembly from the rear of the vent control unit. You may need to pry the vacuum hosing assembly to remove.
  14. Pull vent control unit out.
  15. Remove 3x screws down the left hand side (glove box) of the main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim.
  16. Remove 3x fine metal thread screws from the right hand side (fuse trim cover) of the main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim.
  17. Remove 4x fine metal thread screws from the front of the main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim undernieth the stereo head unit.
  18. Remove main stereo/switch/vent control assembly trim.
  19. Remove 1x screw holding passengers side centre console transfer duct and remove ducting.
  20. Remove 1x screw holding drivers side centre console transfer duct and remove this ducting.
  21. If stereo has not been taken out befor there should be 2x screws/small bolts attached to the stereo brackets at the rear of the stereo. These can be a pain but if you remember that you are working the screws/small bolts facing the wrong way as you work on them it is easier to do.
  22. Remove 2x screws on the stereo brackets at the front of the stereo.
  23. Pull stereo forward about 200mm.
  24. Disconnect the antenna cable (may be easier if you twist it slightly) and the main power/speaker plug from stereo. Some units have extra cables for CD units.
  25. Remove stereo head unit.
  26. Done.

Refitting

The main things to remember about refitting is to do everything in reverse but take particular attention to the repositioning of the automatic gear lever's indication panel.
A great thread, makes things much easier for novices like myself.!

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
is that just to remove the stocko HU, im rally hoping my after market one (sony) will be easier than that?

wayvr

R.I.P AAA-99P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx cluby
any one no what colour the acc wire is at the steeting coloum .. you say it is yellow is this the right colour ??? i would test it but i dont have my test light on me it is al work and i can not make one as i dont a a spare globe or any spear wire ..