Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo issue

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
Hello again JC members.

This issue has been around in my car for years and it comes and goes randomly. Hasnt happened for a year for more but unfortunately has reared its head after doing the AUX mod.

The issue is that theres no sound. The volume indicator automatically goes all the way to the right, even if I dial it back manually it automatically goes to the right again by itself....but theres no sound.

Now Ive noticed when I unlock the car the stereo red security light is still flashing, only to disappear once the car is started. Is it perhaps an issue with the security system? I dont understand the randomness of it. For instance itll just revert back to normal randomly while im driving, which is not good because as you can imagine the volume switch being on full and the sound suddenly working is quite the startle.

Im not electronically inclined in anyway so kerp that in mind lol.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Was a issue with the software I believe in 2003 they had new software to upgrade the issue. You can try removing battery and wait 5min and reconnect to see if it resets as long as you have the security code.

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
Was a issue with the software I believe in 2003 they had new software to upgrade the issue. You can try removing battery and wait 5min and reconnect to see if it resets as long as you have the security code.

Hi thanks for the reply. I wonder If I can take it into Holden and they can do a software update? Ill disconnect the battery but Im sure itll just come back. Thanks again

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi thanks for the reply. I wonder If I can take it into Holden and they can do a software update? Ill disconnect the battery but Im sure itll just come back. Thanks again
You can always go and buy a aftermarket unit.

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
In the interim the issue is still persisting. Last night the audio came back randomly which was nice, then about 10minutes later it cut out again. The sound goes from nearly dead quiet to full volume, then back to dead quiet then to full volume again...it does this over and over all within a few seconds until I turn the stereo system off. Then when I turn it back on there's no sound, yet the headunit it displaying the volume indicator at full. Adjusting the volume knob does nothing, the volume indicator will just go back to full volume yet there's no sound.

Interestingly I noted last night that when the audio system starts to stuff up, by going from quiet too full volume, I noticed that it seems all the volume is coming from the front drivers side area....either from the door speaker or the front dash speaker.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
In the interim the issue is still persisting. Last night the audio came back randomly which was nice, then about 10minutes later it cut out again. The sound goes from nearly dead quiet to full volume, then back to dead quiet then to full volume again...it does this over and over all within a few seconds until I turn the stereo system off. Then when I turn it back on there's no sound, yet the headunit it displaying the volume indicator at full. Adjusting the volume knob does nothing, the volume indicator will just go back to full volume yet there's no sound.

Interestingly I noted last night that when the audio system starts to stuff up, by going from quiet too full volume, I noticed that it seems all the volume is coming from the front drivers side area....either from the door speaker or the front dash speaker.
I'm thinking the problem maybe your steering wheel controls, if you can disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

GEP

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY V6 BERLINA SEDAN
I'm thinking the problem maybe your steering wheel controls, if you can disconnect it and see if the problem goes away.

Could I ask what makes you say that? I never use the steering wheel controls, partially because the volume up button plastic has broken off. Ive had it replaced but it broke off again so now I just use the headunit to control the functions.