Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stereo setup opinions (VZ Exec)

temmex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Gday guys, just after a couple of opinions here :)

I recently wrote off a car and i've replaced it with a vz commodore exec :thumbsup:, and am moving over the sound system. It's basically 2 subs, monoblock amp, 4channel amp, 6x9's, splits and an aftermarket head unit. All alpine cept for JL splits.

I realise however that the VZ has no stock 6x9's - just the space on the back shelf.

Here's what im considering:

a) fit the splits, amps, subs. leave stock rears in the door, and the back shelf un-speaker'd.
b) fit the splits, amps, subs. leave stock rears in the door, and put the 6x9's on the back shelf
c) fit the splits, amps, subs. replace the rears with some alpine 6.5", and then maybe put in the 6x9s (i imagine it would probably be better without them) on the back shelf.

I upgraded from a small car to a large car so im a bit unsure of how it will sound. Alberts told me to go with option a, when i was leaning more towards c initially.

would really like to hear some opinions from some other people, either with systems in their own car or just general opinions - any insight would be great! :thumbsup:

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey mate, i'd completely scrap the idea of the 6x9's. Ive just removed mine and sold them, and moved my front speakers into the rear instead. There's really no need at all to have the 6x9's, particualry when your to be running 2 subs. I'd leave the standard rear speakers in place, and just have them running off the head unit. The money you save on the 6x9's, and having to buy a 4 channel amp, you can put towards your front splits, and a decent 2 channel amp to run them. This is where your going to notice the biggest difference aswell. I've been there and done it, and learn my lesson the expensive way...

Even with you sub setup, rather than 2 subs running of a single monoblock, i'd be more to inclined to spend the money on a decent single sub. A smaller enclosure being a single, will save you more money again..

Toeludeu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VT S Pack
I've got a VT, but here's what I did

JVC single din DVD head unit (3.5" screen, not 7" motorized)
Clarion 6 1/2" Splits in the front
Clarion 3 way 6 1/2" in the rear doors
Clarion 4 channel amp running front and rear door speakers
2 x 12" subs in the boot
900w monoblock amp running the subs.

No need for the parcel shelf at all. Took me about 3 hours to tune it to what I like to think is perfection, but with the volume up around 35-40 (out of 50) the bass thumps and sounds like it's coming from the front of the car - not the rear.
It's not the most expensive of systems - probably spent around $1500 - $2000 all up, but I didn't want DOOF DOOF, I wanted a nice sounding system with plenty of bass down low.

I actually had a mate sit in it on the weekend and ask me how I got that much bass out of 6 inch speakers?

temmex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
hmmm i know the 6x9's arent the most efficient particularly in a commodore since it caters for 4x6".. its just really that i already have them. I already have all (well most) of the gear ill need from the old system, i actually have a 4channel amp putting out 75w x 4 channels which used to run my fronts and rears in my old car, and a 500w mono amp for the subs. I just dont like the stock stereo.. it just seems to lack clarity, but id say that will clear up when i change the head unit over.

Toeludeu your setup is pretty much exactly my option c.. im not particularly keen on 6x9's since i have better highs and better lows from the 6's and subs, just seems like such a waste not to use it when theres space! even if all the logic says leave them out..

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
More isnt always merrier;) and you said it was lacking clarity, your most clearest sounding speakers, (your front splits) and being fased out by the extra midrange and bass coming from the rear. Like you said, you had better highs and lows from the 6's and subs

temmex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Oh i mean stock stereo just seems to lack clarity, coming back from having full aftermarket installed in my last car. So what do you think.. im happy leaving out my 6x9's probably sell them off to some mates for cheap, but should i use the stock 6" rears or upgrade them.. knowing that they will be powered by an amp? In the scheme of things the cost of upgrading them won't be too much, I should be able to get some alpine 6.5" for pretty cheap

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Or spend more on the fronts, keep the stock rears, and bridge your 4 channel to the fronts..

temmex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Monoblock amp -> 2 subs
4channel amp -> 2channels for front
-> 2 channels for rear

that should be all my amp channels used up shouldnt it?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
im saying dont amp the rears, keep the stock speakers and just run them off the head unit, bridge the 4 channel to the front splits..

temmex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
ah you just editted your post..?
but i see what you're getting at, ill have at think on it. my splits are only like 60 watt rms if i remember right