Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sticking idle control valve

bad benny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
My CIA acted beautifally as a big mouth for water the other day in the flood. Have driven vp with std intake through so much water its not funny, and its never stopped. The other day with the CIA it stopped in the 1st puddle with a piston or 2 full of water. So after some time turning it over by hand i was convinced id forced all the water down into my sump, so dropped oil then and there and put in some fresh stuff (was in a servo so not to difficult).

Car started with not much effort (considering it was drowned a 1/2 hour ago) and drove home with no problems after it warmed up and dried out a bit (idled a bit rough before it dried out, as to be expected). So got it home and parked it, dropped the fresh oil which by this time had accumulated a little bit more water, and left it sit for a few days.

Now when I start it the other day, its idle is about 2000 rpm. After a little hunting I am fairly convinced my idle air control valve has become stuck (if i mostly cover the hole with my finger it idles no probs). I have had the IAC out and cannot get its arm (the one that blocks the air hole) to move up or down, but i didnt force it much cause i didnt know if you should be able to move its arm up and down.

Have tested the wiring as per the manual and get the test light pulsing like the manual says it should on both AB and CD circuits, and therefor conclude the wiring or ECU is not at fault. Have tested the resistance and around 50 ohm across both a-b & c-d terminals (book says 40 - 80 acceptable).

I guess my question is should i be able to force the arm on the IAC in and out when the device is out of the car and not powered. Im quite sure it has just siezed, and am probably just going to try and oil it up and unsieze it.

I know i could go buy a new one, but id rather play around a bit as i have more time than money at the moment.

Thanks guys and girls

Bad Benny :wave:

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
sounds like you have done all the right things to diagnose your problem, well done
try some carbie cleaner on the iac to free it up.
with reasonable pressure you should be able to push the pintle back in

Cheers Rob

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Just to help you with prices on a new one, I recently bought one and the IAC cost me about $75. So they aren't cheap. I hope you can fix it.

Cheers,
Jim :cool: