Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You should be able to tell if the accelerator is sticking by revving it in neutral and see if it goes back to idle speed quickly.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
explain revving out? does the revs jump up like a 1-300 rpm or stay for a couple of seconds??

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Two options I have seen on this forum that seem to happen a lot. Throttle body and throttle needs cleaning. Accelerator cable needs replacing. Less liable to be the problem, the pivot behind the accelerator pedal could be damaged or need lubricating

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
i have the same issue with mine. not the burning smell though but i dont give it heaps that often.
i was told by most people on here that the problem is there to stay - apparently its just how it works. i cleaned the throttle body and associate bits out, lubed everything i could find and no difference.
whether it is something that can be changed in the ECU i dont know, but cant afford to change that cos its $$$$ from what ive heard.

however, not to say it cant be fixed! If you do have success with it, please let me know - and im know there are others with manual vx that are the same. sux for it to sound like a auto!

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
nzBrowny, problem is there to stay? Where did you see that? I had the problem and new throttle cable fixed it. No more sticky throttle. There is one other thing I can think of and that is a groove worn in the throttle body where the throttle butterfly sits at throttle closed. If you have high Ks, this is likely. Replace throttle body or ream it (carefully) and fit o/size throttle butterfly.

nzBrowny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Commodore Manual
nzBrowny, problem is there to stay? Where did you see that? I had the problem and new throttle cable fixed it. No more sticky throttle. There is one other thing I can think of and that is a groove worn in the throttle body where the throttle butterfly sits at throttle closed. If you have high Ks, this is likely. Replace throttle body or ream it (carefully) and fit o/size throttle butterfly.

not in regards to the throttle sticking, but in regards to the engine holding or raising the revs in between gear changes. sorry i thought that was the issue.

i had the same issue (revs rising between gears) and posted a thread a month or so ago:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...7-2002/158709-vx-s-manual-slow-drop-revs.html

apologies again if this is a different problem.