Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"sticky" accelerator

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
I was just wondering If someone could give me some advice as to why my accerlerator is very sticky so to speak when I press my foot down. I cannot take off smoothly because when I press my foot down It wont move freely(hence the sticky term). I was told something about my throttle body a while ago I'm not sure If I should just clean that. Or could it just be in the pedal itself? thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Probably your cable between the pedal and the throttle body is sticking. Only fix is to replace as the plastic inner breaks up.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
What does the cable stick to? I dont know how it works.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
drewins said:
What does the cable stick to? I dont know how it works.
the cable rubs through the plastic lining its in. It then starts to grab onto the rougher outer casing causing it to stick. You can check if it ok by disconecting it from the t/b and moving the cable in and out. If it works easily then you may need to clean the t/b

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
hey drewins u could try spray some wd40 down the throttle cable both ends, or check to see if the throttle butterfly is gummed up with carbon as that can also cause it to become sticky s maginoodle suggested.good luk!

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
cheers guys will have a look at that.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
When you move the accelerator, a cable will move a 'plate' in the throttle body. To open it up to more air flow. The cable may simply be sticking. Have an assistant push the accelerator pedal and look at the cable that is moving. Move the cable by hand and feel if it is sticking. Otherwise it may be the 'plate' that the cable moves.

H

HATER VP

Disconnect the cable from the throttle body and see how easy it is for the throttle butterfly to turn.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
clean the throttlebody & reset the base idle.

Rob