Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sticky odometer...rustling my jimmies.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
For a little while now my VLs odometer has decided that it works when it wants, the speedo reads the speed correctly.
Not long ago i put a new main cog in the cluster, but shortly after if started stopping again.
When i put slight pressure on the reset stalk it starts winding over again, but stops once i take my finger off. I completely pulled it apart last weekend, gave everything a jiggle and checked for cracks or damage then put it back together, got 90kms out of it then it stopped again.
Anyone had this happen before and fixed it? I'm thinking it might be time to pull it out again and drop it off at a speedo shop.

Cheers.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Recon'd would probably be the safest bet since these cars are pretty old and stuff stick on em all the time even after greasin' and lubing em up, don't know how you'd go with prices since I've never got mine reconditioned but yeah, if you've pulled it apart and it didn't fix it, I'd get it reconditioned.

14f.jpg

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Be careful what you use to grease/oil them, they don't like heavy grease/oil, use something like sewing machine oil.
Also, you may have damaged some other component in the process of your repairs, and check that the other gear the new cog drives against is not worn/missing a tooth, etc.
Why not get another dash and make a good one from the two.
If holding the trip button makes it work then my guess is the cog/cogs are not sitting correctly and you may have damaged the retainers, either way, a jiggle will not fix it.
Here is a VL being parted on Gumtree, not mine.

VL commadore for parts and shell | Other Parts & Accessories | Gumtree Australia Brisbane South East - Capalaba

dags061

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Vacationer 253, VH SL 185 pack 253
The cog slips on the shaft and odometer wont work. I took the cog off and roughed up the area with wire cutters put it back on and hey presto.Not sure on VL speedos but the shaft can go in and out. Adjust it and check that its working before re install.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
The cog slips on the shaft and odometer wont work. I took the cog off and roughed up the area with wire cutters put it back on and hey presto.Not sure on VL speedos but the shaft can go in and out. Adjust it and check that its working before re install.

Sounds like this could be the issue, maybe the main cog wasn't the only one slipping, so it only half fixed the problem when i replaced it.