Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Still a beautiful car.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Everything about that was great
  • The burnout starts
  • The reactions to the burnout starts
  • The power slides
  • The "fix" commentary
  • Out of my way "hsv" Camaro!
Looks an amazing event, pretty hairy in that rain though
Thanks for posting

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
I believe that has an ex supercar motor in it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Love Targa Tasmania.

Sadly this year they lost Shane Navin who died after dropping his car down an embankment and into a creek landing on its roof. His co driver was uninjured.

RIP Shane.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I love the quality of the filming. Those slow mo shots as it hangs out on the corners.
It sticks to that road as good as far more “sophisticated” cars. That start was a giggle.
I watched a few others from the Targa Tas and the XB( XA?)Coupe in 2019 does go hard but just doesn’t stay on the road the same. Might have something to do with the difference in years. But that VL sticks 80% as well as a new Audi or Porsche, and there’s a heap of years difference there. Is Aussies did ok putting these cars together, all things considered.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Love Targa Tasmania.

Sadly this year they lost Shane Navin who died after dropping his car down an embankment and into a creek landing on its roof. His co driver was uninjured.

RIP Shane.
No doubt there are dangers. Though I can certainly see the appeal of why so many want to come and participate in the event with their beloved cars that have so much time gone in them. Some irreplaceable

That is one sad out come there. All the people helping, the family, the questions of how one is uninjured and why one never made it. That will play on their minds for the rest of their lives.

I’d like to think, until that moment, they had nothing but fun doing what they loved, in something they loved.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A boss I had back in 1995 he raced a Ferrari 308 GTB at Targa.....His comments about the race was, it was better than sex.....(now that's open to interpertation)...Then in 1996, he ran a MK1 or MK11 Jag, hoping to get placings within the class it was eligible for.

It is definately an event I want to tick off my bucket list to go and watch....To me, it's racing a car in natural surroundings and show cases a drivers skill, more than driving round and round in circles, with the track being relatively predicable

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I love the Targa Tasmania because there is all sorts of cars that run. Some are just out for a quick but controlled drive of their classics while others are out to win.

One year there was this super quick Nissan GTR that was at the front of the field. Unfortunately he lost control and speared off the road. Blth driver and co-driver were unhurt but car was a mess. Seems the driver lost control on a curve because some of its sophisticated power management dripped out due to a stick that hit a wire loom and ripped the plug out of a rear sensor :eek:

Such highlights that modern cars a quick, very quick, but the driver becomes dependant on computer smarts to be quick. With old non computerised vehicles, it’s just the driver, the machine and the road in front :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride