Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

still ticking

mortivivosdocent

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx S supercharged
My S/C vx has a ticking noise in the right hand side of the motor(when standing in front of the bonnet) I did a service on it and it seems to be a little better(it isnt as loud and dosnt last as long) but its still doing t and driving me nuts.... any ideas?

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
maybe leaking exhaust manifold??

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
The V6's will always tick at some stage of you owing it.
Ask any other owner and they will agree.
Mine does it now and then. Comes and goes, goes for a few months, then comes back and ticks for a few weeks etc.
I wouldn't go spending money on it to get it diagnosed.
Unless its a loud tick that increases with revs and stays loud get it checked, otherwise you'll just have to live with it i think.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Murdoch said:
The V6's will always tick at some stage of you owing it.
Ask any other owner and they will agree.
Mine does it now and then. Comes and goes, goes for a few months, then comes back and ticks for a few weeks etc.
I wouldn't go spending money on it to get it diagnosed.
Unless its a loud tick that increases with revs and stays loud get it checked, otherwise you'll just have to live with it i think.
agree....:thumbsup:

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
could be lifters, try Nulon Top Performace or Lifter Free fluid ($10 a bottle) and it should disappear.

mortivivosdocent

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx S supercharged
im a chick, what are lifters?? can some one explain so i can fix them.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
They are inside the engine and sit ontop of the lobes of the cam. The pushrods then sit ontop of them and when the cam turns it pushes the lifters and push rods up, moving the rockers which open and close the valves. The easiest way to stop them ticking is to get a bottle of lifter treater or lifter free (as holden007 said). This will then be added to your engine oil. This normaly stops the lifter noise.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Silicon spray on the drive belts - keeps it a bay for a while - have no idea why but who am I to question.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
My V6 ticks like hell when coming down from 3,000 rpm. I think its oil related. I have a known leak on the passenger side rocker cover. Been there for ages but leaks very little oil.

I am going to try what Holden007 has suggested and add some lifter fluid to the oil. To do that I will wait till my oil change next week and then my 'beautiful bitch' can have the full treatment of both!!! hahaha

Someone did once suggest to me something about the 'springs' on the valves (or some crap like that). Anyone actually bothered to change them?