Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Still vibrating in mornings grrr

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Bahahahah looser than a kings cross hooker lol

Yea noticed this morning the vibration grinds through the engine or somewhere when i take off with pedal/throttle

Mounts are all genuine

The new trans mount has helped the cruise as its smoother and quieter and can hear noisy tyres more now, but not this shudder vibration thing is not gone

also read the fan can cause it thorough the radiator rubber mounts...pardon mate?? Rewrite this??

Tail shaft is slightly noisy rumblee but its still in tact
Ok, the cooling fans on the radiator in what I read can send a vibration if the motor is farked, it can shack the RADIATOR and if the SUPPORT GROMMET are worn transfer into the body.

But your issue sounds more like tail shaft. But I'm not ruling out A/C compressor or bad leads or coils breaking down under a load which can make your engine shake. Hard to see something with words.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Thanks guys

Is an immaculate car gets lots of love, the belt tensioner needs changing and has a bit of light squeel and is making the belt sit about 3mm off the pulley

I found that the alternator brace bar was loose at one end, and theres a fuel rail screw missing, tested these and not related to vibration

I also today put platinum spark plugs in it, no change to vibration either

I went around tightened up lots of nuts but none were really loose, checked your youtube video nuts they were ok

I wish i had another vy to test if theirs is similar but just on light throttle around 1000 revs i put my hand on the plenum and theres a slight grind/vibration i cant work it out

I put my hand on back of air compressor with car running, and yes the vibration is strong but the front pulley theres no vibration. What do u suppose is the solution if it is the compressor

Cooling fans arent on at all

Leads are fine its not missing at all

I do have noisy tyres but dont think its vibration related

Will check radiator out when i get a chance

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Air compressor? do you mean the AC compressor? If so, it works just like the engine and has a number of pistons inside it that go up and down so some vibration is probably normal.

Grinding most noticeable at the top of the engine? Possibly a problem with the rear balance shaft bearing? use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope and listen around the back of the motor right in the middle behind the intake manifold.

The serpentine belt running off one side of the pulley is an indication something is out of alignment. Check all the pulleys, if they are all ok it could well be a worn tensioner mechanism.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Could it be the timing chain I wounder, do what Lex said remove belt and see if its the compressor or not and why its off test all the pulleys and water pump. These been a few with the compressor vibrating good luck.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Yep thats a great idea... will try get belt off tomorrow

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hmmm unfortunately no luck, took belt off, vibration still exists with hand on plenum

Thinking exhaust flanges may be loose, tried top nuts they ok cant get to bottom nuts dont have good extension bars

Something about relaxing engine mounts too but i doubt it

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds like you should take a trip to the mechanics, you may have internal issues or a simple as a lead failure, or DFI or coils. Any rattle noise or just vibration? could be a vacuum leak or the IAC, TPS, 02 sensor or MAF making it run rough. Strange.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
new belt tensioner

new belt

new leads, new platinum sparks

tested coil packs, their lightning bolts look good and are connecting

"still vibrations" through top of plenum

only ideas left are maybe a dud injector or Oxygen sensor playing up

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Found 2 old oxygen sensors swapped them in

Engine still grinding vibrating grrr

So got under it, checked mounts with spanner, found 1 bolt into the block was not tight.... started it up excitement plus!!!....but no....still grinding vibrating :'(